SR20 vs SR22

My wife and I are researching the possibility of buying a Cirrus. We would be pleased to get some advice on the respective merits of an SR20G2 vs a used SR22. Use would be mixed business/personal/proficiency. We have two kids (a big five year old boy and a two month old girl). We live in Texas, but cross countries would likely include Southern California (via El Paso) and vacations to and/or over mountains. I have about 1100 hours and an instrument rating, but our current aircraft are not IFR equipped, so I am not instrument current. How do insurance rates compare between the SR20 and the 22? How much nicer/better is the G2 avionics package? Any thoughts on the Skywatch vs the Garmin 330 mode s transponder? Has anyone tried the 330 in lieu of the skywatch in a Cirrus? Any experience/thoughts/advice on the aftermarket air conditioner?

Thanks,

Drew Coats

Drew; The following comments are just my own opinion and may differ substantially from the view of others. Owning a Cirrus is part ego, part performance. Most like the biggest, the best, the fastest the latest . . . that is ego.
Look to your mission to determine what is best for you

In reply to:

. . .advice on the respective merits of an SR20G2 vs a used SR22.

Apples and oranges. The SR20G2 is an SR20. The performance numbers differ from an SR22.

In reply to:

Use would be mixed business/personal/proficiency. We have two kids (a big five year old boy and a two month old girl).

I own an SR20, it has a 915 useful load. Subtract 336 lbs for full fuel (about 4+ hrs) and I have 585 payload. The SR22 generally has about 50 lbs more payload given full fuel.

In reply to:

We live in Texas, but cross countries would likely include Southern California (via El Paso) and vacations to and/or over mountains.

You are generally flying the low country so the 20 will do. As a general rule the 20 will go as high as a 22 but take longer to get there.

In reply to:

I have about 1100 hours and an instrument rating, but our current aircraft are not IFR equipped, so I am not instrument current. How do insurance rates compare between the SR20 and the 22?

The 20 is obviously less expensive but maybe not. As with most insurance, the bulk of it is “hull value” a used 22 will sell for less that a new 20.
I am a high time insturment pilot and I pay between 2600 to 3k for a hull value of 200k

In reply to:

How much nicer/better is the G2 avionics package?

They are the same. The newer aircraft are built with PFD. The older aircraft like mine (3 years old) have six packs. This applies to 22’s or 20’s or G2’s except Cirrus will not make an aircraft with a 6 pack option. The rest of the aircraft have various avionics that will vary the cost of the aircraft over 50k

In reply to:

Any thoughts on the Skywatch vs the Garmin 330 mode s transponder? Has anyone tried the 330 in lieu of the skywatch in a Cirrus?

I have the Garmin 330 and find it works just fine, but you must be in a radar environment for it to work.

In reply to:

Any experience/thoughts/advice on the aftermarket air conditioner?

I live in Miami and don’t think it’s worth the price or payload loss, although the option is not available for a 20.

Look to your mission, and your personal style before you decide.
They are all good aircraft even that the prices currently range from 179k on the low SR20 used range up to 440k+ for a new SR22 G2

Most owners, but not all, in the west have chosen the SR22 for the significant increase in power and ability to climb at altitudes and out of higher altitude airports. If you use the search function for SR20 vs SR22, comparison etc you will find a number of discussions on this point.

FWIW, in your situation as you describe it, I would opt for the used '22.

1. Your family is “small” now but as the kids grow they and their stuff will consume an ever increasing fraction of payload.

2. The '20’s performance in hot/heavy/high or even just hot/heavy conditions can often require much patience. If your travel plans really do include relatively frequent trips west over mountains you will be glad for the '22’s extra performance margin at high density altitudes. I now fly both the '20 and '22 regularly and the performance increment of the '22 is quite striking, especially its shorter takeoff run and enhanced climb rate.

3. AFAIK the G2 doesn’t offer many avionics enhancements over its PFD-equipped predecessors. Most or all of the improvements are in the airframe (doors, cowl, other minor) and interior cosmetics. A used PFD SR22 will be very well equipped for any flying you will do. Even a pre-PFD Sandel-equipped model is a great package, unless you just gotta have the PFD!

4. I infer that your desired price range is high $200K’s -low $300K’s. This size of check would serve to acquire a new SR20G2, a used 2002-2003 SR22, or even–stretching a little–a new base model SR22G2.

5. The GTX330 is a fine unit but its traffic function will only work if you’re flying within reach of a proper type of radar. Anywhere else, and it’s just an expensive GTX327! DFW and Houston areas almost certainly have coverage, but likely much of west Texas doesn’t. As of ~1.5 years ago when I flew through, Amarillo did not. Albuquerque has it I think, but then it’s a long flight until the next coverage (Phoenix area). I don’t know about El Paso. But then again, there’s not much traffic to avoid in that part of the country, anyway! In any case, if you want traffic avoidance all the time, you’ll need Skywatch.

I know nothing about A/C options, but I think it’s a fair prediction that an operating A/C unit would sap less of the '22’s payload and takeoff/climb performance.

I’m sure you’ll really like these aircraft!

I would definitely opt for the used SR-22. I am on my second SR-22 right now, and have purchased both of them used. I have 2 kids about your same age/size and they love to fly in it. We just go back from Scottsdale this morning. I would be happy to talk to you about my experiences purchasing the 2 used airplanes I bought. If you would like to call me, I can be reached at 435-703-4145.