SR20 Useful Load

I’ve searched the archives but haven’t found any mention on this. Sorry if this is a repeat.

Two years ago, when I first started talking to Cirrus, they said that they realized that the useful load was not going to be as high as originally specified. But at the time, they felt they would be able to gain some of it back through changes in the manufacturing process, an increase in the gross weight, and a few other measures. They were even saying that the gain would be compatible with existing aircraft.

Does anyone know if there has been any progress toward this end?

Does anyone know the effect on useful load of the new adhesive?

Thanks,

Tom

We hopefully will see a paper increase buy early summer. The increase may be as early as march…ed

I’ve searched the archives but haven’t found any mention on this. Sorry if this is a repeat.

Two years ago, when I first started talking to Cirrus, they said that they realized that the useful load was not going to be as high as originally specified. But at the time, they felt they would be able to gain some of it back through changes in the manufacturing process, an increase in the gross weight, and a few other measures. They were even saying that the gain would be compatible with existing aircraft.

Thanks,

Tom

This has indeed been discussed quite a bit in this forum. As an example, try looking at posts for the week or so following the Santa Barbara fly-in on Sept. 30. Various issues mentioned by CD folks have been paperwork for the POH/AFM, possible modification of the seats, possible necessity to install more robust brakes and larger wheelpants to accomodate them, etc. Speculative gross weight increases mentioned here have ranged from 100 lb (likely) to 200 lb (very unlikely).

As it now stands, SR20s leaving the factory have full-fuel payloads (NOT useful load) in the 475-500 lb range. This is not too different from a new 172. Various owners have reported in private conversations that the plane performs quite nicely when loaded beyond that, and as it is overbuilt with the future SR22 in mind, that is not so surprising. Of course were some accident or incident to occur, the hapless owner who suffered this with an over-gross plane, even if the weight had NOTHING to do with the event, would have some explaining to do to the FAA and insurance company!

The SR22 has a full-fuel payload of about 670 lb, about like a new 182, with a bonus extra 40 kt cruise and far more state-of-the-art avionics included at no extra charge. Congratulations to CD for being right on the money with projections for this.

Traina, WHERE ARE YOUR PIREPS FER CHRISSAKE!?! :slight_smile:

Waiting for them DOES totally suck!

The SR20 has about a 40 knot advantage over the 172 on about the same fuel consumption and thus much greater range.

The SR20 gross weight increase which I recently heard is imminent would make it a far better aircraft.

This has indeed been discussed quite a bit in this forum. As an example, try looking at posts for the week or so following the Santa Barbara fly-in on Sept. 30. Various issues mentioned by CD folks have been paperwork for the POH/AFM, possible modification of the seats, possible necessity to install more robust brakes and larger wheelpants to accomodate them, etc. Speculative gross weight increases mentioned here have ranged from 100 lb (likely) to 200 lb (very unlikely).

As it now stands, SR20s leaving the factory have full-fuel payloads (NOT useful load) in the 475-500 lb range. This is not too different from a new 172. Various owners have reported in private conversations that the plane performs quite nicely when loaded beyond that, and as it is overbuilt with the future SR22 in mind, that is not so surprising. Of course were some accident or incident to occur, the hapless owner who suffered this with an over-gross plane, even if the weight had NOTHING to do with the event, would have some explaining to do to the FAA and insurance company!

The SR22 has a full-fuel payload of about 670 lb, about like a new 182, with a bonus extra 40 kt cruise and far more state-of-the-art avionics included at no extra charge. Congratulations to CD for being right on the money with projections for this.

Traina, WHERE ARE YOUR PIREPS FER CHRISSAKE!?! :slight_smile:

Waiting for them DOES totally suck!