SR20 Position in 80s for sale

SR20 Position in the 80’s for sale.

This position allows you to buy a Cirrus SR20 base airplane for a balance due of $129,500 ($144,500 less $15,000 already paid). To that you must add:

• $2,500 mandatory surcharge for Garmin avionics (original specs were not Garmin)

• $7,104 for autopilot and large screen (this is optional but if you don’t take it you can’t add any other options)

• inflation escalator which ran for about a year (not yet computed but probably $2000 or less)

So you can buy the equivalent of today’s base SR20 for a balance due of $139,104 plus the inflation escalator and any other options you want to add.

This airplane should be delivered later this year (no guarantees of course).

Asking $99,000 or best offer. Email interest to sr20position@usa.net

Let me get this correct - all your asking for is a 74% “commission” in selling your position - or that the actual plane will cost the buyer $238K.

Get real!

SR20 Position in the 80’s for sale.

This position allows you to buy a Cirrus SR20 base airplane for a balance due of $129,500 ($144,500 less $15,000 already paid). To that you must add:

• $2,500 mandatory surcharge for Garmin avionics (original specs were not Garmin)
  • $7,104 for autopilot and large screen (this is optional but if you don’t take it you can’t add any other options)
  • inflation escalator which ran for about a year (not yet computed but probably $2000 or less)

So you can buy the equivalent of today’s base SR20 for a balance due of $139,104 plus the inflation escalator and any other options you want to add.

This airplane should be delivered later this year (no guarantees of course).

Asking $99,000 or best offer. Email interest to sr20position@usa.net

Like “Dumbfounded,” I have no interest in paying a $60k+ premium to move hundreds of places up in the queue. But if someone else finds the time-for-money trade worthwhile, what’s the harm? The potential seller has something of value – namely, dibs on a SR20 in the nearby future – and he has it because he put down his money early. If he’s asking too much for what he has to offer, presumably he’ll get no takers.

The only harm I can see is through a triple-reverse-backflip logic problem. IF “SR20position” has lost all interest in buying the plane, and IF he would therefore let his turn come and go without actually receiving the plane (giving up his $15k in the process), then we’d all be one space closer to our own delivery time if he didn’t try to sell his place. Harm scenario number two: on the same assumptions, “SR20position” might deny Cirrus new revenue, if a new purchaser buys this place rather than joining at the end of the line. But the total potential loss to Cirrus then is $15k, not a whole plane, since the assumption is that “SR20pos” is not going to buy the plane anyway. And if the purchaser is an existing place-holder, there’s no difference to Cirrus at all.

I am quick to identify “market faiures” in many realms of life, but this seems like a straightforward, normal exchange. Jim fallows

Seller loses anyway. The same 15k in tech stocks would have returned a lot more.

Let me get this correct - all your asking for is a 74% “commission” in selling your position - or that the actual plane will cost the buyer $238K.

Get real!

Oh please… The only reason that I’m not clamoring to pick that up is that I need some of the time the queue provides to get my financial situation together and also to get my licence. We’re going to see a lot more of this and I can’t wait to see what you get. I’ll almost surely pick one up within eight months. (Then maybe I’ll sell my 417 later on…hehe. Hopefully demand keeps up. I hear there’s over 520 at this point.)

Landon

Jim, one minor correction to your triple-reverse- backflip logic. If sr20position does not want his/her plane and cannot sell the position, he/she can get the $15K back as Cirrus has long since been in default on their obligations in the contract.

SR20Position, please keep us posted on what you get/don’t get, if you’re willing. Would love to know the market value of a position in the 80’s!

Mick

After buying and selling 3 SR20s,I predict that
position #80 will be gone by friday 2/27/00. If you own # 500, how much are you going to spend to fly rental garbage until you get your plane? (Sorry Cessna)not to mention scheduling hassels,and the fact you take your life in your hands with the 3500 hour student trainer from the disco era!

Like “Dumbfounded,” I have no interest in paying a $60k+ premium to move hundreds of places up in the queue. But if someone else finds the time-for-money trade worthwhile, what’s the harm? The potential seller has something of value – namely, dibs on a SR20 in the nearby future – and he has it because he put down his money early. If he’s asking too much for what he has to offer, presumably he’ll get no takers.

The only harm I can see is through a triple-reverse-backflip logic problem. IF “SR20position” has lost all interest in buying the plane, and IF he would therefore let his turn come and go without actually receiving the plane (giving up his $15k in the process), then we’d all be one space closer to our own delivery time if he didn’t try to sell his place. Harm scenario number two: on the same assumptions, “SR20position” might deny Cirrus new revenue, if a new purchaser buys this place rather than joining at the end of the line. But the total potential loss to Cirrus then is $15k, not a whole plane, since the assumption is that “SR20pos” is not going to buy the plane anyway. And if the purchaser is an existing place-holder, there’s no difference to Cirrus at all.

I am quick to identify “market faiures” in many realms of life, but this seems like a straightforward, normal exchange. Jim fallows

Jim —

Good answer. You’re a budding libertarian! Imagine what your Atlantic Monthly friends might say about that!

Sigh . . . if only Bay Area hangar space were as open to market forces . . .

RK

1. Ed Boland’s post made me realize that I should not have begun my previous one by saying, “I have no interest…” Instead I should have said, “I’m in no position…” to lay out $60k+ to move ahead in the queue. I’m the guy with kids still in college. (And however much I lay out for renting sturdy-but-charmless Skyhawks between now and then, it’s not likely to reach $60k.)

2)Mick’s point about the refundable $15k, for those whose contract date has been missed, strengthens the case in favor of position-sales. If the seller of Pos #80 would otherwise ask for a refund, Cirrus is better off if he sells it to an existing position holder (Cirrus then gets to keep two deposits, not one). And if he sells it to a new customer, Cirrus is no worse off than it would have been.

1. I second Mick’s request for an after-action report of the market-clearing price. No one needs to know any names or extraneous details, but a sense of what the positions are actually worth would be very interesting. JF

After buying and selling 3 SR20s,I predict that
position #80 will be gone by friday 2/27/00.

I tend to agree. But I’m obviously missing out here. Watch this space for the SR20 Auction site! For a mere 5% commission you can auction your SR20 position on-line!

But watch out for those counterfeit SR20 positions (there’s a factory in China that turns them out, look just like the real thing).