SR20 G2 & STEC55x autopilot

Yep. My 2006 SR20 G2 /w S-Tec is in for an annual. (My first annual - I’m a newbie). For squawks, I listed the backlight not knowing this is a common failure. The quote was $1464 flat rate repair from S-Tec. My clue that the light was a well known problem was the SC’s comment “most customers defer this.” Yes, I declined.

Andy, many thanks for sharing your useful and detailed experience.

Our aircraft is going for her annual in 3 weeks time, so that will be the time to get the autopilot checked. We do need to get the Autopilot fixed as the aircraft is used for training and rental.

We did consider the DFC90, the conclusion was that it is definitely a better system than STEC55 and worth having. However we can not justify the cost yet, should the existing box fail beyond repair, then the DFC90 will be the replacement unit.

I have already spoken with Barry at Autopilot Central, they do know the autopilot stuffs and good at it, and were aware of the porpoising problems and I was given some very good advise.

Referencing fixing, we have already made it clear to the maintenance that, we will only pay for the faulty component, rather than cost of replacing parts when they go for “trial and error” resolution!!!

Mo