SR-22G NOT SAFE!!!!

I am not a professional researcher in the sense that your question implies. My passion about this issue has led to my in-depth investigation which has been fueled (pardon the pun) by my findings. The support of other pilots, and even the resistance and inaction by the bureaucracy and those with a vested interest in keeping this information from the public has compelled me to continue my research.

Further, I am a pilot and aircraft owner and have always taken great pride in my skills as a pilot, and the meticulous condition of my aircraft. For seventeen years, during my preflight check, I found no water in my sump cup. I now look back on that time and the false sense of security I felt, and am astonished at the obvious revelation that the integral fuel tank was storing the water. This became all too clear when I subsequently experienced one rough running engine and three total in-flight engine failures. “Three strikes and you’re out” was not a reality for me, as it sadly has been for many other pilots who have not survived similar circumstances. It is in part because of that experience and those lives that have been lost that I felt compelled to try to better understand this problem, and to pursue a resolution.

As I began to explore this situation with a single letter to the FAA to enlist their help in correcting the problem, and a safety recommendation and petition to the NTSB, I was frustrated by the inaction and incompetence of those who are charged with oversight. Access to information was made difficult by FOIA denials, but fortunately through my website I have heard from pilots, aircraft owners and others who have shared their stories and provided contacts and information that is crucial to a complete understanding of this problem. My website Sumpthis.com serves as a repository for this information and provides a means to connect with others who have a need to know or information to share.

“Sumpthis” is a statement that while the design of the integral fuel tank may hide the water and endanger or sadly end the life of those who fly the planes with that design, the truth that has been discovered about the dangers of this situation will not be hidden.

Mike Radomsky asked me to post my question to the COPA forum, which I have done.

For all additional information regarding the well-known problem of water in the fuel tanks of general aviation aircraft refer to my non-commercial research only website.

http://sumpthis.com/

Robert E. Scovill, Jr.

I am not a professional researcher in the sense that your question implies. My passion about this issue has led to my in-depth investigation which has been fueled (pardon the pun) by my findings. The support of other pilots, and even the resistance and inaction by the bureaucracy and those with a vested interest in keeping this information from the public has compelled me to continue my research.

Further, I am a pilot and aircraft owner and have always taken great pride in my skills as a pilot, and the meticulous condition of my aircraft. For seventeen years, during my preflight check, I found no water in my sump cup. I now look back on that time and the false sense of security I felt, and am astonished at the obvious revelation that the integral fuel tank was storing the water. This became all too clear when I subsequently experienced one rough running engine and three total in-flight engine failures. “Three strikes and you’re out” was not a reality for me, as it sadly has been for many other pilots who have not survived similar circumstances. It is in part because of that experience and those lives that have been lost that I felt compelled to try to better understand this problem, and to pursue a resolution.

As I began to explore this situation with a single letter to the FAA to enlist their help in correcting the problem, and a safety recommendation and petition to the NTSB, I was frustrated by the inaction and incompetence of those who are charged with oversight. Access to information was made difficult by FOIA denials, but fortunately through my website I have heard from pilots, aircraft owners and others who have shared their stories and provided contacts and information that is crucial to a complete understanding of this problem. My website Sumpthis.com serves as a repository for this information and provides a means to connect with others who have a need to know or information to share.

“Sumpthis” is a statement that while the design of the integral fuel tank may hide the water and endanger or sadly end the life of those who fly the planes with that design, the truth that has been discovered about the dangers of this situation will not be hidden.

Mike Radomsky asked me to post my question to the COPA forum, which I have done.

For all additional information regarding the well-known problem of water in the fuel tanks of general aviation aircraft refer to my non-commercial research only website.

Robert E. Scovill, Jr.

Robert: Thanks for the excellent response. I am also very glad to see that you are not just trolling this forum.

I used to own a Cessna, and I recall the significant issues that they have had with their fuel tanks. I certainly hope that the lessons learned have been incorporated into the CAR 23 certification standards, and that we as owners and operator of aircraft certified to this standard benefit from those lessons. Since you have far more experience in this matter than I, do you know what the CAR 23 standards require and what tests or verifications the FAA requires for certification purposes?

I take from you comments, that while you have an honest and deep seated concern for the safety of fuel tanks in general, you have no specific reason to believe that Cirrus Design failed to perform any required tests on the fuel tanks nor does the aircraft have any design flaws in the fuel system?

Marty,

In reply to:

BUT WATCH WHAT YOU SAY ABOUT MACS! Defamation of Macs is not tolerated on this forum, and the “Mac Police” will prosecute you to the fullest extent possible!

You got that right!!![:)]

Brian,

Posted further below, for your convenience, is what the FAA has to say about the integral (wet wing) tank of the Cessna’s.

In the integral fuel tank the members that form the wing, spars, ribs, and hat channels where they intersect can act as damns preventing water from reaching the sump drains. Like the rubber wrinkles in Cessna rubber bladder fuel tanks prevented water from reaching the sump drain, now we have fixed rigid metal wrinkles in the integral fuel tank possibly preventing water from reaching the sump drain.

Additionally, sealant used to seal the wing tank (integral, wet wing) can also act as damns. Futhermore if the sump drain itself is not on actual tank bottom positive detection of water may be difficult.

Ask yourself this question. How often do you see water in your sump cup during the preflight of your aircraft?

In my opinion all general aviation aircraft are subject to water in the fuel tanks despite any and all attempts at prevention. Water may enter a aircraft fuel tank in many ways. Rain while the aircraft sits on the ground, washing the aircraft, condensation, bad fuel from an FBO, sabotage, and free water that is contained in fuel from the manufacturer.

If you see water in your sump cup often then your fuel system may be working as certified. If you are not seeing water in your sump cup it could mean your fuel system is not working as certified.

A simple test of a few ounces of red dyed water into your fuel tank and positive evidence of it at the sump drain and the ability to eliminate the same amount you just poured in will tell you if the aircraft fuel system offers positive detection of fuel contamination. Responsibility for the airworthiness and safety of your aircraft is the sole responsibility of the owner/operator.

I am not suggesting that Cirrus aircraft have a problem with their integral fuel tanks. I just asked the following question.
Has anyone to your knowledge performed a simple test on the integral fuel tank of the Cirrus to insure that all hazardous quantities of water can be positively detected and eliminated during the preflight of the aircraft?

Brian, everything you would ever need to know about the subject of positive detection of fuel contamination is on my non-commercial research only website. A complete read of the site, pictures of water inside the integral fuel tank, and documentation of water tests over many decades is all available at a click of your mouse.

Best Regards,

Robert E. Scovill, Jr.

Memorandum

Subject:
Information: FAA Safety Recommendations 99.283 and 99.284
Date: March 10, 2000

Associate ACO, Manager Airframe and Services ACE-118W
Reply to J. D. Janusz
Attn. of:
316-946-4148

To:
Manager, Recommendation & Quality Assurance Division, AAI-200

We have completed our review of the subject recommendations. The subject recommendations cited an example of a Cessna Model 172P that had experienced one incident of a rough running engine and 3 separate in-flight shutdowns, which resulted in forced landings. This particular airplane was equipped with the original standard single wing fuel drain, located in the aft inboard section of each integral wing fuel tank (1 LH & 1 RH). Following the second in-flight shutdown, this operator had Cessna Service Kit SK182-100 installed, which added 4 additional drains at various locations throughout each integral wing tank. The operator experienced an additional in-flight engine shutdown following the kit installation, and has since determined his airplane to be unairworthy, and identifies it as such.

At this time the Wichita Aircraft Certification Office (ACO) has determined the following:

Safety recommendation 99.283: We have reviewed the water/contamination egress capability of the Cessna model 172P, and find that it is not adequate. Our findings indicate that this operator’s airplane was designed and manufactured in such a manner as to not provide adequate water/contamination egress capability. Based on our review, we have determined that other Cessna high wing airplanes use a similar design and construction method for their integral wing fuel tanks. Therefore, we believe this condition may exist on other integral fuel tank equipped Cessna high wing airplanes with gravity feed fuel systems.

Safety recommendation 99.284: We have reviewed the effectiveness of Cessna Service Kit SK 182 -100 and found that it is not adequate to perform it’s intended function of assisting in the detection and removal of water and/or contaminants in the integral wing fuel tanks when the airplane is in a normal ground attitude.

Based on our findings, the Wichita ACO will take the following action with Cessna
Aircraft Co:

Advise them we have determined their design does not comply with the requirements of CAR 3.444 for the model 172P, when equipped with integral fuel tanks.

Advise them we have identified an unsafe condition, which exists on the model 172P aircraft equipped with integral fuel tanks, and that this condition is likely to exist on other airplanes of the same type design.

Advise them that we will be taking Airworthiness Directive action based on the above findings.

Advise them the Administrator has determined that design changes are necessary to correct the unsafe condition, and requests their submittal of appropriate design changes for FAA approval within 30 days.

Advise them we believe this condition may exist on all Cessna high wing integral fuel tank equipped airplanes, and request their identification of applicable models and serial numbers and submittal of appropriate design changes for each model for FAA approval within 60 days.

Advise them that we will be making a Specific Finding to the requirements of 14 CFR part 23.971 on the current Model 182T and T182 programs.

Advise them we will request a full review of compliance substantiation for the model 172, 182 and 206 series airplanes manufactured since the restart of production (type certificated since 1996), with respect to the requirements of 14 CFR part 23.971.

Take any other action deemed appropriate based on the above actions.

We thank you for bringing this situation to our attention and trust that our action plan is considered sufficient to close the subject safety recommendations.

If you have any questions or need additional information regarding these issues, please contact Mr. Jeff Janusz, ACE-116W at (316) 946-4148.

David Ostrodlea
For
Ronald K. Rathgeber

Brian, I share your wonderment at this line of inquiry. The cycle here, as I see it, is:

1. Undetected water contamination may have been an issue in certain Cessna models.

2. People with Cirruses say: OK, this is a different airplane, and there seem to have been no reported or even by-inference-suspected water problem in 1400+ airplanes and 4+ years. (That’s a period of time sufficient to expose a lot of other problems, as we all know.) So what’s the point?

3. GOTO 1.

Robert:
I appreciate your bringing this to my attention. I agree that water often times works its way into our tanks. I would disagree that we should see it when we drain the sumps any more than we should see water in our car’s gas tanks.
I keep my plane in a hangar and my fuel caps are sealed tight. See no reason to expect water in the tanks.

It would be impossible to design a wing system that could drain every nook of the spars. When the tanks are full, any “trapped” water will disburse into the fuel and sink to the sump.
Although this is helpful information to know, I think, on the grand scale of things, it is a minor issue. Have flown for over 30 years with multiple aircraft, many with water drained on pre flight. No history of any engine consequences as a result. To my knowledge, there is not an issue with the Cirrus either.

Robert,

In reply to:

I am not suggesting that Cirrus aircraft have a problem with their integral fuel tanks.

Than why was your original post under the subject heading “SR-22G NOT SAFE!!!” if you were NOT suggesting there is a problem with Cirrus? I would have used a different heading if I was NOT suggesting there is a problem. But hey, that’s just me.

Am I missing something?

Brian Fowler SR20 #1393

Sec. 23.971 - Fuel tank sump.

(a) Each fuel tank must have a drainable sump with an effective capacity, in the normal ground and flight attitudes, of 0.25 percent of the tank capacity, or 1/16 gallon, whichever is greater.

(b) Each fuel tank must allow drainage of any hazardous quantity of water from any part of the tank to its sump with the airplane in the normal ground attitude.

© Each reciprocating engine fuel system must have a sediment bowl or chamber that is accessible for drainage; has a capacity of 1 ounce for every 20 gallons of fuel tank capacity; and each fuel tank outlet is located so that, in the normal flight attitude, water will drain from all parts of the tank except the sump to the sediment bowl or chamber.

(d) Each sump, sediment bowl, and sediment chamber drain required by paragraphs (a), (b), and © of this section must comply with the drain provisions of §23.999(b)(1) and (b)(2).

Having not experienced a problem in thirty years or a hundred years does not mean the problem of positive detection of water in the fuel tanks of general aviation aircraft does not exist. Have you ever won the lottery? Do a test!

I knda think we ALL feel like we are missing something here. What was the intent of your original post Robert?
Sorry if I am missing something here.

In reply to:

every piece of the airplane that has anything to do with the parachute (and that changed in the transition to the G2 model), was fully tested.

• Mike.

EXACTLY! Many of us knew about this at the time of the first post. Isn’t there some way to cut this sort of nonsense off so that we do not have to see “G2 UNSAFE” over and over again. The problem is that if you post a reply, there are responses to your reply and the false allegation is perpetuated in the heading. In the past it has been suggested that nonsense threads would simply die if people would simply not respond to the bait. Obviously, this approach does not work.

Mike,

Thanks for your “end of discussion” post. Reminds me of the bit in a Woody Allen film where they are standing in a theater ticket line debating a theoretical point made by Marshall McCluen of “the medium is the message” fame. McCluen just happens to be in line also; so Woody drags him over as a source. End of discussion!

In reply to:

In the past it has been suggested that nonsense threads would simply die if people would simply not respond to the bait. Obviously, this approach does not work.

The phenomenon is called TROLL. Simply, someone who seeks to create controversy. And you’re right, no one should respond to them, it’s been discussed ad nauseum before, but some people can’t resist to keep quiet. I hadn’t read this in quite some time until I saw Mike’s End of Discussion.

Robert,

Thank you so VERY much for dragging this thread back to the top with your timely and relevant post!

Robert:
I think I can appreciate your sensitivity to water in the tanks because of YOUR experience. But, engine failure due to water in tanks is not a common expereince and usually is one of failure of the pilot to detect the water. You may want to look at your personla practice of how you do a preflight. The percentage problems you have had far outweigh the “norm” here. If this were a major problem, it would show up in the statistics. It just is not the case!

Ok everyone - this is the last post on this subject. Please - No one else respond. If I was a moderator, I would delete the entire thread. Mike, can you make me moderator for a day? PLEASE DON’T RESPOND. (…if I was king for just one day)

Brian Fowler