Some sad news

I look forward to the day when the “big screen” in the SR20 has traffic conflict information displayed as invisioned. The need for this is illistraded by a tragedy that just occurred to a fellow SR20 position holder. Avweb.com reports as follows:Chicago Radio Host Bob Collins Dies When Zlin Crashes Into Hospital Roof…

Midair crashes are thankfully rare, but this week two fatal crashes occurred barely 24 hours apart. In Zion, Ill., on Tuesday, a Cessna 172 flown by a student pilot and a Zlin 242L flown by popular Chicago radio host Bob Collins collided near Waukegan Regional Airport. Collins and his passenger, Herman Luscher, 58, were killed when the Zlin crashed into a hospital roof. The Cessna crashed upside-down on a residential street, killing the female pilot, whose name was not released. No patients were hurt, but some hospital employees suffered minor injuries.

Collins, 57, known to his fans as “Uncle Bobby,” was a longtime pilot, a Cirrus investor on the list to get an SR20, an Oshkosh fan, and the number-one-rated radio morning host in Chicago for 14 years running. He often spoke about aviation issues during his WGN-AM broadcast, which was described in the Chicago Sun-Times as a “gentle, folksy blend of news, humor, trivia, contests and weather.” On his last show, Collins talked about the Alaska Airlines crash, arguing about the safety of the MD-83 aircraft involved. "He always said there wasn’t a plane he wouldn’t get on,’’ Tom Petersen, news director at Collins’ radio station, told the Sun-Times.

Tragic indeed.

Don’t know for sure about alt. AGL in either of these midairs (I think the one in CA was about 600ft. AGL) but does anyone else share the belief that the CAPS chute may save a life or two in this type of tragic accident?

Tragic indeed.

Don’t know for sure about alt. AGL in either of these midairs (I think the one in CA was about 600ft. AGL) but does anyone else share the belief that the CAPS chute may save a life or two in this type of tragic accident?

Tragic indeed.

Reply Concerning Tragic Accident - Mike:

I don’t know for sure, but I thought that I had read somewhere that for the CAPS chute to fully deploy the aircraft must have 1300 AGL or more!

If anyone out there has the correct factory numbers (AGL) for a successful deployment, please post it… I think that all of us would find it interesting.

Best regards,

Gerry Mengo, #173 & #279

Tragic indeed.

The chute can be fully deployed at 960 ft…

But then there is the question of wheteher partial help can result at a lower altitude…

have seen such opinions written …

Tragic indeed.

But then there is the question of wheteher partial help can result at a lower altitude…

The initial stage the chute inflates to the extent that the reefing device will allow…based on speed…then as speed lessens to a safe point to fully inflate it does…so some where in there is the answer…speed would probably be lessened…The question would seem to be how much…??

Tragic indeed.

The 960 feet was the altitude loss when deploying in a one-turn spin. Under ideal conditions it ought to be less than that. But a midair isn’t exactly ideal conditions…

If anyone out there has the correct factory numbers (AGL) for a successful deployment, please post it.

According to the POH, the demonstrated altitude loss from a one-turn spin is 920 ft, and 400 ft from level flight. Mid-air collision is one of the scenarios discussed in which CAPS deployment should be considered.