Jet Plane Crash?

Very Off topic:

If anyone has heard about a jet(?) crash around Orlando (maybe anywhere in FL or even the southeast USA) please let me know via cell phone (502) 387-6501. I’m on the road, but it is the wife and son of a client and son.

I think it occured on Tuesday 24.

Marty

A quick perusal of the FAA accident/incident site for the last four days doesn’t turn up anything that seems to match.

To all who have responded, thanks for your comments and inquiries. I think I have found out the facts or at least enough of them.

A Cherokee 6 (not a jet as first disclosed to me) did crash in Yehaw Junction, FL, and it does appear to be owned by the family. The pilot of that plane and one passenger were killed. The pilot, on an IFR flight plan, did report a “gyro failure” prior to the accident.

My client’s wife and son were killed in a plane that the son piloted. It’s probably the same accident.

Life is short, let’s cherish every moment and the opportunities we have.

Marty

This it? AERONEWS later confirmed pilot, Tom Righetti, was a fatality.

** Report created 9/19/02 Record 1 **
IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 151MG Make/Model: MG15 Description: 1956 MIG-15
Date: 09/18/2002 Time: 1700
Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Unknown
DESCRIPTION
ACFT CRASHED IN A SECLUDED WOODED SWAMPY AREA, OTHER CIRCUMSTANCES ARE UNKNOWN, WILMINGTON, NC
INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk: 1
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
WEATHER: KILM 181653Z 10009KT 9SM SCT028 BKN037 28/22 A3003
OTHER DATA
Activity: Unknown Phase: Unknown Operation: General Aviation
Departed: N MYRTLE BEACH, SC Dep Date: 09/18/2002 Dep. Time:
Destination: VIRGINIA BEACH, VA Flt Plan: UNK Wx Briefing: U
Last Radio Cont: UNK
Last Clearance: LOST RADIO COMM 20M NE OF NMB,SC
FAA FSDO: CHARLOTTE, NC (SO33) Entry date: 09/19/2002

Not sure if it’s a jet, but this sounds like a match. If so, I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news. From the Orlando Sentinel:

The son and wife of a national figure in apartment development were killed when their twin-engine plane crashed in Osceola County on Tuesday.

The crash killed Harriet Ginsburg, 62, and Jeffrey Ginsburg, 37, of Maitland. They were the wife and son of developer Alan Ginsburg, who founded CED Cos. in Maitland in 1986, and inspired his son to get into the real-estate-development business. CED has a national portfolio of 17,000 apartments and is a $1 billion company.

Jeffrey Ginsburg was a success in his own right. He was generous with his money, his friends and family said. But what they valued more was his selflessness.

When his mother asked him to fly her to the family condo in Palm Beach, Jeffrey Ginsburg, a pilot for two years, did not hesitate. Harriet Ginsburg did not like flying much. But she looked forward to spending one-on-one time with her son, the second of her four children, family members said.

Tuesday afternoon, during the return trip to their Maitland homes, Jeffrey Ginsburg’s plane crashed in the dense woods and swamp southwest of rural Yeehaw Junction. The plane crashed after 2 p.m., soon after Ginsburg reported mechanical difficulties to air traffic controllers in Miami, Osceola County sheriff’s Bureau Chief Jerry Geier said.

It was a trip Ginsburg had taken many times in his short stint as a pilot.

“He had flown her there many times before,” Alan Ginsburg said Tuesday night.

“They were very close,” he said of his wife and second son.

The cause of the crash was unknown.

His wife and son both were active in their synagogue, Congregation Ohev Shalom, Alan Ginsburg said. Jeffrey took after his mother in her gift for organizing charity fund-raisers.

“She was warm and loving,” Alan Ginsburg said.

Diane Ginsburg, Jeffrey’s wife, had stayed home to care for their 3-year-old son, Joseph.

Saturday, the Ginsburg family had an intimate party to celebrate Jeffrey’s 37th birthday. But Jeffrey Ginsburg was also known to host large, lavish New Year’s Eve parties at his Maitland home.

Jeffrey told his family that he liked flying his mother to the Palm Beach condo so she could visit her friends there.

“He enjoyed bringing people together,” said his best friend, Mark Elliott, 38.