side control yoke

I’m a position holder #411 with a delivery date of july 31 2001 (Accdgs to CD) and also a student pilot. After researching for the best airplane i decided on the sr20 due to the following factors:

160kt cruise sppeed

10 gal/ hr fuel burn
       modern avionics and interior

parachute

price

however I’m a bit concerned about the side control yoke. I read in an article that you must absolutely use the electric trim during takeoffs and climbs or you will not be able to maintain the proper pitch attitude.

Is the SR20 yoke truly better than a conventional yoke??

Is there any truth to this allegation ??

Any info from current owners or from anyone with knowledge will be appreciated.

I’m a position holder #411 with a delivery date of july 31 2001 (Accdgs to CD) and also a student pilot. After researching for the best airplane i decided on the sr20 due to the following factors:

160kt cruise sppeed

10 gal/ hr fuel burn

parachute

price

Most everyone that has commented on the side stick really enjoy it. You have a nice arm rest on the side and can really control the airplane very easily with the side stick – in my opinion much easier than with a center stick between your legs with no arm rest. In fact I think the only negative comments have been from left handers and those comments were oriented to how you write down clearances or other things with the hand they are trying to fly with.

The SR20 only has an electric trim – no manual trim. So when you trim the airplane it is with the electric trim controled from a hat switch on the side stick. Since the trim springs are controlled by the same motors that the auto pilot uses – you can use the auto pilot to trim the airplane for you if you desire.

however I’m a bit concerned about the side control yoke. I read in an article that you must absolutely use the electric trim during takeoffs and climbs or you will not be able to maintain the proper pitch attitude.

however I’m a bit concerned about the side control yoke. I read in an article that you must

I had never used a side-stick before trying an SR20 the first time (a year ago, when there was a demo flight in Seattle). I found, no joke, that within ten seconds of beginning the takeoff climb it seemed completely natural. I cannot imagine anyone finding this a difficult adjustment. It is somewhat more pitch-sensitive than, say, a Skyhawk control yoke – smaller motions produce bigger results. But that seemed easy to adjust to (and obviously all planes have different sensitivities at different speeds etc).

I think the "better"ness comes from the room that’s left in the cockpit. You don’t have this big-old control yoke coming back and forth into your – and the passenger’s – lap. You know how the right-seat guy has to scrunch to get out of the way when you’re checking “flight controls free and clear” before takeoff? Not a factor with the sidestick.

160kt cruise sppeed

10 gal/ hr fuel burn

parachute

price

I had the good fortune to fly the prototype a few years back, as did my student-pilot wife (bride in WC context). I completely forgot that the side yoke was different during my flight. After all, we all use the left hand on the leftmost vertical component of the yoke during critical operations, leaving the right hand free to change power. The SR20 is no different, except for the free space in front of the crew. My low-hour student pilot wife/bride just loved it. She claimed it was every bit as easy to fly as the C-152 she had been training in. Mario: don’t worry about the side stick–it’s a nice feature. My only concern, and remember this was the prototype, was that the pressures during bank were more than I thought they would be. Long hours of training (which I don’t do) might be tough on skinny wrists like mine. aa