should i buy a cirrus?

Don: I don’t know about the requirements for low time pilots transitioning to SR22s. I know that it has been very expensive in the past.
Others, many of whom I have great respect for, have offered different opinions based primarily upon personal experience. I know that it is possible to transition from a trainer to a high performance SR22, and many have done it successfully. Most who try probably will be successful.
The USAF, and probably every other modern military in the world, start ab initio traning in very high performance aircraft. So it can be done. The problem is that training is highly intensive, structured and monitored and the candidates are extensively screened in advance. Most of the Private Pilot training in the U.S. shares few of these attributes. The military wash out rates are high.
It takes a certain type of person with a combination of intelligence, perseverence and patience to take initial training in a high performance GA aircraft without successive risks. Doesn’t mean that it can’t be done well and without problems, it just means that, in my opinion, the chances for dangerous problems are unnecessarily high.
I hope anecdoatal evidence does not convince others to take risks.
(Edit: the second and second to last paragraphs were revised.)

have 300 hrs TT private pilot instrument 225 hrs in a 20. thought i couldn’t get into a 22. just got 3 quotes one of which was the same as what i pay now in the 20. seems time in the 20 counts as TIT. just one point of reference

Agreed Marty…Most can make the transition. It’s the few that won’t/didn’t that caused all the hardship for there families and us earlier this year.
TC

Jim,
Well said!
TC

This will only make sense if you read the book but, I read somewhere that the statistical foundation for The Killing Zone was lacking. Something to the effect that because the author didn’t account for the fact that there are more absolute #'s of pilots in the zone categories(150-350hrs analyzed at 50 hr. increments) than those with greater hours, the fatality stats don’t mean much. The suggestion was that unless there were equal #'s of pilots for each 50hrs. of experience, the anlysis was flawed. Any thoughts?

Stuart,
Can easily see the bridge with 250 hours in a ‘20’ to the ‘22’. You already know 90% of the ‘22’! Then you can concentrate on the handling and power differences. Best of luck if you make the move.
TC

Why did you post with a frown icon? I think that is awsome that you got a quote for the same $$ as your 20 and with so little hours! Good for you!

I have 150 hours, 105 P1 now and 80 on the Arrow and was looking into a SR20/SR22. After reading the threads about the accidents etc I was put off a bit…maybe I focus on the SR20…its still 35kts faster then an arrow so still can get around quicker.

With your low hours…was your insurance a ridiculously high premium?? I’m sure the UK insurers would be the same in charges.

Alan.

Alan, I ended up paying $13,000 for my insurance with the requirement that I must begin my IFR within one year. When I think that the plane is insured for about five times my car’s value, and that the plane premium is about ten times my car premium, it’s not too bad. ( anyway I’ve always told everyone who asks that so long as you drop the last “zero” on everything to do with aviation, the cost’s “quite reasonable!”
The reality though is that this is a very fast, very sophisticated plane, and that I am a low hours pilot. If anyone in that situation is not consumed with respect and caution for the machine then then they should be in a 172. It’s fantastic fun but treat it with the utmost respect.

Alan,
As you probably are aware, one of the best traits a pilot needs to posess is ‘good judgement’. You are using remarkably good judgement should you go with the ‘20’ IMHO as a low-time pilot. I think the opposite is true if you select a ‘22’. YIKES!
If you don’t want to get hit hard with re-sale in a year…buy a used ‘20’ and trade up next year with 450 hours and 300TIT.
That’s the ticket!

Good luck and TC

Tks for the heads up…

Alan.

Tks Don.

The SR20 seems a ‘safe’ bet. Although I would always look at the SR22 with a heavy heart that I don’t own one :slight_smile: but hey…life is all about challenges and thats just one I will have to aim for!!

If I can get a second hand SR20 with a full glass cockpit I will be happy. I would be taking my FAA IR in the UK anyway, so good step prior to owning one I guess.

Alan.

although…to afford one I will have to sell my TVR Tuscan S sports car (UK built sports car)…mmm so do I keep my Arrow III and sports car or sell up and have a Cirrus…tough decision!!! :slight_smile:

If you plan to fly 200+ hours a year and start with tons of real world duel it seems a 22 is possible. But you will have to accept a higher risk factor.

Have you considered a Diamond DA40?

IMHO it is a much easier plane to fly and lots of fun. Not as comfortable, and for hard IMC not as safe. But the large wings are very forgiving.

Much of the issue is safety at the margins - an upset, unusual attitude, botched landing, etc. The much higher stall speed, higher wing loading, higher speeds give you less margin in a 22. Will always be so no matter how much experience you have,. The difference is the experience will get you out of trouble.

In reply to:

The difference is the experience will get you out of trouble.

or… Experience will make it less likely that you get into trouble in the first place.

• M.

“Last I heard, you now needed 500 hours and IFR to get coverage in a ‘22’ or a Saratoga. God, I hope this is still the case.”

I was reacting to that statement by Don. I feel that I am being safe and being smart in my training. I get discouraged by “isms” and blanket statements. that’s all