S-Tec System 55 CD

Anyone interested in a “C” model should check out the link to the S-Tec site from the Cirrus Design links page. Then select the “New System 55 CD” button for a download or send money to S-TEC for your own CD. Then run the various programs to show the capability and features of the System 55. Quite impressive.

Bernie #296

Anyone interested in a “C” model should check out the link to the S-Tec site from the Cirrus Design links page. Then select the “New System 55 CD” button for a download or send money to S-TEC for your own CD. Then run the various programs to show the capability and features of the System 55. Quite impressive.

Bernie #296

I downloaded this zip file but cannot open it.

I get an error messange when I click on launch.exe as instructed. Did anyone else have a problem?

Bernie #296

I get an error messange when I click on launch.exe as instructed. Did anyone else have a problem?

I downloaded it last night (along with Winzip) and it ran just fine.

After playing with the 55 simulator I’m sort of glad the SR20 installation doesn’t force alt. preselect on us; too damned complicated, particularly in the approach phase.

Bernie: Thanx for the tip.

Once you click on the executable file – you may have to guide it to find some of it’s files. Shouldn’t give a fatal error.

Bernie

After playing with the 55 simulator I’m sort of glad the SR20 installation doesn’t force alt. preselect on us; too damned complicated, particularly in the approach phase.

Bernie: Thanx for the tip.

Got it working. Re installed WinZip (was using Norton zip). I agree that the alt option is a bit tricky but am still inclined to order this option with the feeling that it would be used more after I got used to the other aspects of the SR20.

If nothing else, it would work as a backup altimeter and remind you to double check DH or MDA. Having said this, I agree it is not the most user freindly interface.

What we need now is a program that lets us practice with the Garmin 430 and S stec 55 together!

Or maybe all we need is a virtual SR20??? Then we could save some bucks!!!

What we need now is a program that lets us practice with the Garmin 430 and S stec 55 together!

How about a good manual for the S-Tec 55? The Cirrus POH Supplement refers to an April 99 S-Tec manual and then tells all the things that the SR20 does not have. It takes careful reading and deletion to make sense out of it for the SR20. All of the features that the SR20 does not have are woven into the discussion of procedures so you have to stop and think how it would work. I took a copy of the S-Tec manual that I downloaded on the Web and crossed out everything that did not apply.
The Garmin manual is not perfect either. It took me I while to realize that some of the information you need to test the GNS 430 on startup only appears on the ARNAV screen. You don’t notice it because the Garmins are up and running before the ARNAV screen lights up. If you have already started entering data in the GNS 430 you will miss the test data. (It almost always works so maybe that is not important.) On aircraft with annuciators the test information shows up on the annunciator. The SR20 does not have them.

Another test for those that have access to an SR20. Find the ELT shut off switch in the cockpit. The manual tells you where it is. I challenge you to see it without standing on your head.

Or maybe all we need is a virtual SR20??? Then we could save some bucks!!!

So we agree Elite is great and the Garmin sim is good, so let’s ask Elite to build us a sim module for SR20. I know they would sell 500 in a hurry!