Ryan TCAD

Have to admit it: the flight risk that most gives me the heebies is the risk of midair collision. Noticed that RYAN is interfacing its TCAD units with moving map displays:

http://www.ryantcad.com

Don’t see Arnav on the list, but the GNS 430 is.

This is an expensive safety gadget, but with all of the midairs that have been occuring lately I’d be a liar if I said I wasn’t interested. Has anyone researched this specifically for the SR20? Any thoughts?

Mick

Have to admit it: the flight risk that most gives me the heebies is the risk of midair collision.

While I think everyone shares this concern, the statistics don’t place it as one of the more important causes of accidents. I suspect the reason that it worries people so much is the fact there is so little you can do about it. From what I read, people using TCAD for the first time are often amazed at how much traffic is around them that they would never have seen otherwise.

Has anyone researched this specifically for the SR20?

I believe it is one of Cirrus’ priorities. No idea of when it will be available, though. The Arnav display would be the logical one to display on.

Have to admit it: the flight risk that most gives me the heebies is the risk of midair collision.

While I think everyone shares this concern, the statistics don’t place it as one of the more important causes of accidents. I suspect the reason that it worries people so much is the fact there is so little you can do about it. From what I read, people using TCAD for the first time are often amazed at how much traffic is around them that they would never have seen otherwise.

Has anyone researched this specifically for the SR20?

I believe it is one of Cirrus’ priorities. No idea of when it will be available, though. The Arnav display would be the logical one to display on.

A general response regarding the Ryan TCAD. I’m a Warrior II owner, waiting for my #199 Cirrus to come up. I bought the low priced Ryan for my Warrior, because of concern in flying in fairly crowded airspace. My opinion, and that of numerous pilot passengers and two instrument instructors is that it’s great. My complacency prior to owning the unit was based on not knowing how many planes were close to me. Avweb has a very good review of all of the Ryan units. Also, their customer service has been superb. My observation is that the cheap (model 7700) unit is more than adequate, as you can always change altitude to miss an oncoming aircraft, even if you don’t know its direction. My observation was that the cost of the direction arrow, which is $10,000, approaches the point of diminishing returns.

My observation was that the cost of the direction arrow, which is $10,000, approaches the point of diminishing returns.

Do you see any enhanced value in having TCAD targets displayed on the GNS 430 or Arnav?