Ryan 9900BX STC For Cirrus Aircraft is Complete !

Geez what else can I say … uhm …the Ryan 9900BX (TAS) Traffic Advisory System is STC’d for Cirrus aircraft — currently installed in two Cirrus SR22’s …my aircraft which will be picked up next week – and someone else’s aircraft (which is flying around somewhere in the country right now). A third system will be installed in August as far as I know —so we should have some interesting pireps and perspectives to consider.
Ryan’s 9900BX is an active anti-collision system which uses two antenna’s to prevent possible “shadowing” and provides aural as well as visual traffic direction and altitude read-outs . …Audio sample is clickable below …Yes it displays on the Avidyne system. Ok – that’s it …
[:)]

http://www.ryan-tcad.com/audio/9900BX_sample.wav

http://www.treasurecoastavionics.com/ryan9900bx.htm

http://www.ryan-tcad.com/products/traffic_9900BX.html

Thats great news Scott. I have inquired about that system 1.5 years ago. I particularly like the aural warning.

Will the traffic show up in the MFD?

Thanks

Scott,

Competition is a good thing. Had the 9900B an my B36TC. My hangar mate has 9900 BX in his B36TC, so I have been flying both versions of the Ryan. Hard to do a scientific comparison, but I think the Skywatch box does a better job at detecting traffic. Annunciation is much better in the 9900 BX.

Be interested to hear your comparison.

Bob

Scott: I have deferred posting on this subject pending actual issuance of the STC so that Ryan can make it’s announcement when that happens.

A couple of corrections:

In reply to:

the Ryan 9900BX (TAS) Traffic Advisory System is STC’d for Cirrus aircraft

I have the other aircraft and the system does not yet have a STC. It is currently placararded inoperative pending issuance of STC. The aircraft is due to go to Western Avionics next week so a sticker can be placed on the transmitter/receiver/computer unit. This sticker is essential to the issuance of the STC (in some way I don’t fully understand). Once this sticker is in place, certification of that is sent to Ryan and then to the FAA who will hopefully issue the STC.

In reply to:

Yes it displays on the Avidyne system

It does not currently display on the Avidyne system. The history of this is that operating system #1 for the Avidyne would display only a portion of the targets. Operating system #2 corrected the code that was causing that problem, except in the version for the 5000C, the set up choice for the Ryan was not enabled.

Operating system #3 is due out in October, 2004. This is the same software release that will enable the CMap display of the Jepp charts and the XM weather along with some other items.

Pending release of that operating system, the Ryan install does not have the RS232 connections in place at either the Ryan or the Avidyne end. Once the software is in place, those connections can be made and the display on the Avidyne should work. I checked this out with both Ryan and Avidyne at Oshkosh.

Currently, when operated, the Ryan displays on and is controlled by either Garmin. You can set the operating mode as ABV BLW UNR and TRM and can set the barometric pressure. You can also control the volume of the announcements. Ground mode switching is automatic by a pressure switch on the pitot line.

On the avionics master first being turned on you will hear a brief announcement from the Ryan of “ground mode” confirming that the unit is in ground mode. Switching occurs at about 35 kts. and is automatic.

The traffic alerts are well handled such that if you hear an announcement, there really is something very close that needs attention. Alerts from aircraft on the ground during approach are rare, but do occur. More often, you will get an alert from another aircraft on downwind while you are on final. I have heard an announcement from another aircraft on the ground during initial ground roll when the airspeed was above 35 kts. but these are rare and not troublesome.

Comparisons to the Skywatch as to performance are difficult, and I will leave that to the engineers. However, my understanding is that both the range and the angular resolution are better in the Ryan. You will see traffic at 18-20 miles by an announcement on the Garmin map page, far beyond the range of the dedicated traffic page. Once the Avidyne display is enabled, you can get a better idea of the actual range of the unit.

There is no doubt that the primary advantage of the unit is the aural announcement. It clearly directs you which way to look.

I have read the complaints of Skywatch users about wanting to kill the “traffic” announcement. I have never had that desire with the Ryan. The announcement occurs only once, and with the direction, relative altitude and distance called out, you usually know what traffic it is referring to right away. As more transponders with automatic mode switching (327, 330) are out there, the ground traffic alerts will be even less. You are not going to get a traffic alert from a Cirrus (or similarly equipped aircraft) on the ground since the transponder will not switch on until that aircraft is moving at groundspeed 35 kts. (the default setting in the Garmin 430).

BTW, watch AOPA Pilot for the October issue. There will be an article on how to spot traffic visually that has been called out to you either by TAS or by ATC. One tip that I know is in the article is not to look to far from the level horizon as most of the traffic will be within a few degrees of the horizon.

Display on the Avidyne would be helpful particularly in the pattern.

I like the idea that it some how figures out NOT to tell you about traffic taxing below you while you’re trying to land!

I suppose this is one of those deals that if you have to ask “how much is it?”, you can’t afford it. [;)]

In reply to:

Thats great news Scott. I have inquired about that system 1.5 years ago. I particularly like the aural warning.
Will the traffic show up in the MFD?
Thanks

Ryan’s 9900BX is an active anti-collision system which uses two antenna’s to prevent possible “shadowing” and provides aural as well as visual traffic direction and altitude read-outs . …Audio sample is clickable below …Yes it displays on the Avidyne system. Ok – that’s it … [:)]

Wow ! A terrific detailed post Steve - thanks. I stannnnd corrected on the Avidyne display -sorry all ----- and will strangle the person who said – yep it is displayed on your screen Scott ! Since I won’t pick up my aircraft until next week - I was advised that it did display on the MFD as of last week.

Regarding the STC - Bill advised me last week that the STC is complete - all done —number assigned ---- and the the unit in 888CD is ok to use …legally.