RANT!

Some observations:

How tough is it to design a “clean-slate” airplane? I’m guessing pretty tough. For Cirrus to come up with airplanes that handle so beautifully, and perform so well, is an outstanding accomplishment. It could have happened by accident, but I don’t think so.

Most people have no idea how damned difficult it is to manufacture simple goods, much less something as complex and liability-prone as a cutting-edge airplane. Building a prototype is one thing. Bringing up a production line is a whole 'nother kettle of fish. And then, quintupling the production rate, while maintaining quality, while keeping shareholders happy, while developing the SR22, is quite a feat. Cirrus is doing a great job.

Can you imagine the headaches that hundreds of employees generate? How about when most of those employees are new to their jobs, in a new facility, building a new airplane? To crank out all those airplanes, Cirrus must be doing something right.

In my dealings with Cirrus, they have been cordial and straightforward. I trust them to hold $45,000 of my money as a down payment on a couple of airplane. I never hesitate to recommend them as honest, easy-to-work-with folks. In a company like Cirrus, the general attitude of the employees reflects the attitude of their leaders. I’ve never met the Klapmeiers, but I’d be willing to bet they are just as honest and decent as the company they founded.

I could never start a company that made airplanes. It’s just too hard. Further, I could never start any company that had hundreds of pilots as customers. We’re just too smart for our own good.

I wince every time I see these words in this forum: “Let’s put pressure on Cirrus to Â…”

I’m sure they want hear suggestions from their customers, but I’m just as sure that threats from their customers won’t change anything. Do they know that customers wish the Arnav MFD had more and better features? Do they know that customers want FADEC engines and diesels? Do you think they’ve caught on to people’s desire for a greater useful load yet?

If they could wave a magic wand and start making airplanes with these changes overnight, they would. But, they have to deal with certification issues as well as production issues. One little change that may seem insignificant to us might have an impact on many areas: engineering, production, quality control, suppliers, documentation, marketing, and contracting to name a few.

What I’m saying is, give Cirrus a break. Keep on making complaints and suggestions, keep on discussing ideas and issues, and keep on posting to this forum. But, when you’re grousing about one thing or another, remember the many positive things Cirrus has done for General Aviation, and keep them in perspective with the few negative things one could say about the company or its products.

Whew. Now I feel better.

-Mike

Very well said and appropriate!!!

Kudos to Cirrus aqnd Mike Murdock…

I don’t know how many of the active contributors have noticed, but we here very little if any complainers from pilots who actually own a “real live Cirrus SR 20”. I have’nt even heard Reza bitch on this forum although he may have sold his plane or position.

Let’s all face facts, there is no other plane on the market that is available for the price that is as comfortable, as fully equiped that flys as easily and as safely as the Cirrus. It is the ultimate in value for those of us that need to travel for work and cannot stand flying through Atlanta or some other overcrowded hub on a giant spam can packed with Sardines (AKA passengers).

As the owner of two manufacturing companies and knowing how difficult it is, my hat is off to the entire Cirrus team for their effort and ability.

There are probably no industries more difficult to work in than the aviation industry with the FAA looking over your shoulder and telling you how to do your job when none of them has ever run a company nor ever built an airplane.

Three cheers to Cirrus. I for one am looking forward to getting my keys to freedom in a plane than I can safely fly in conditions that ground the rental junk available to me now. I am proud to be a small yet suppotive part of the Cirrus movemnt and I suspect most of you on this forum are too!

Mark

Some observations:

How tough is it to design a “clean-slate” airplane? I’m guessing pretty tough. For Cirrus to come up with airplanes that handle so beautifully, and perform so well, is an outstanding accomplishment. It could have happened by accident, but I don’t think so.

Most people have no idea how damned difficult it is to manufacture simple goods, much less something as complex and liability-prone as a cutting-edge airplane. Building a prototype is one thing. Bringing up a production line is a whole 'nother kettle of fish. And then, quintupling the production rate, while maintaining quality, while keeping shareholders happy, while developing the SR22, is quite a feat. Cirrus is doing a great job.

Can you imagine the headaches that hundreds of employees generate? How about when most of those employees are new to their jobs, in a new facility, building a new airplane? To crank out all those airplanes, Cirrus must be doing something right.

In my dealings with Cirrus, they have been cordial and straightforward. I trust them to hold $45,000 of my money as a down payment on a couple of airplane. I never hesitate to recommend them as honest, easy-to-work-with folks. In a company like Cirrus, the general attitude of the employees reflects the attitude of their leaders. I’ve never met the Klapmeiers, but I’d be willing to bet they are just as honest and decent as the company they founded.

I could never start a company that made airplanes. It’s just too hard. Further, I could never start any company that had hundreds of pilots as customers. We’re just too smart for our own good.

I wince every time I see these words in this forum: “Let’s put pressure on Cirrus to Â…”

I’m sure they want hear suggestions from their customers, but I’m just as sure that threats from their customers won’t change anything. Do they know that customers wish the Arnav MFD had more and better features? Do they know that customers want FADEC engines and diesels? Do you think they’ve caught on to people’s desire for a greater useful load yet?

If they could wave a magic wand and start making airplanes with these changes overnight, they would. But, they have to deal with certification issues as well as production issues. One little change that may seem insignificant to us might have an impact on many areas: engineering, production, quality control, suppliers, documentation, marketing, and contracting to name a few.

What I’m saying is, give Cirrus a break. Keep on making complaints and suggestions, keep on discussing ideas and issues, and keep on posting to this forum. But, when you’re grousing about one thing or another, remember the many positive things Cirrus has done for General Aviation, and keep them in perspective with the few negative things one could say about the company or its products.

Whew. Now I feel better.

-Mike

Some observations:

Whew. Now I feel better.

-Mike

Well said, Mike

If the folks at Cirrus may not be perfect, they are darn close to it. Their product follow-up and attention to detail is exceptional.