Problem with Cirrus Web Page

When I enter the Cirrus Design web page,

i experiece all kinds of text problems and

cannot access any particular catagories. Does anyone else have this problem??

The Cirrus web site is very browser sensitive. It seems to work alright with the most recent versions of Explorer (on Mac and PC), but earlier versions of Explorer, most AOL versions of Explorer, and most versions of Netscape fail badly.

One problem is that they make heavy use of javascript and frames, which are not universally supported, and then apparently they test only with the latest browser. This is a naive approach to web design that leaves a lot of users out in the cold. Their previous web site wasn’t as arty or sexy, but it was easier to navigate and read, and better at communicating information.

Cirrus isn’t alone here – most of the aviation industry has a lot to learn about using the web for sales and service. In the meantime, at least Cirrus is putting its resources into cutting edge planes, rather than cutting edge web sites.

When I enter the Cirrus Design web page, i experiece all kinds of text problems and cannot access any particular catagories. Does anyone else have this problem??

Gary,

Designing a website for everybody is not a simple task. If you want to appeal to your customers/market you have to make your website attractive and especially dynamic! It is a MUST that you update your browser with the major upgrades. A webmaster should not bother too much with people who do not want stay current in internet technology. I’m a webmaster myself for our club (http://www.aero-kiewit.be) and know how much work it takes. We still have members who do not have the Java Virtual Machine installed - bad luck for them.

The Cirrus web site is very browser sensitive. It seems to work alright with the most recent versions of Explorer (on Mac and PC), but earlier versions of Explorer, most AOL versions of Explorer, and most versions of Netscape fail badly.

One problem is that they make heavy use of javascript and frames, which are not universally supported, and then apparently they test only with the latest browser. This is a naive approach to web design that leaves a lot of users out in the cold. Their previous web site wasn’t as arty or sexy, but it was easier to navigate and read, and better at communicating information.

Cirrus isn’t alone here – most of the aviation industry has a lot to learn about using the web for sales and service. In the meantime, at least Cirrus is putting its resources into cutting edge planes, rather than cutting edge web sites.

When I enter the Cirrus Design web page, i experiece all kinds of text problems and cannot access any particular catagories. Does anyone else have this problem??

We still have members who do not have the Java Virtual Machine installed - bad luck for them.

With all due respect, while you may be able to get away with this attitude when you are only servicing club members, it is actually bad luck for the web site if someone gives up because they cannot access it.

There are neat things you can do with Java and Javascript, but you should also make it possible to navigate the site without these things - certainly without Java - relying on Javascript is probably OK.

There are other problems with CD’s web site - many of the fonts are still too small to be easily read. It is a triumph of “arty” design over functionality. They probably paid someone a lot of money for it. I still believe that no-one at CD really understands the Internet.

Clyde, I agree completely with you. I sure wish that you were Cirrus’s webmaster. You do a terrific job with this sight. Thanks

We still have members who do not have the Java Virtual Machine installed - bad luck for them.

With all due respect, while you may be able to get away with this attitude when you are only servicing club members, it is actually bad luck for the web site if someone gives up because they cannot access it.

There are neat things you can do with Java and Javascript, but you should also make it possible to navigate the site without these things - certainly without Java - relying on Javascript is probably OK.

There are other problems with CD’s web site - many of the fonts are still too small to be easily read. It is a triumph of “arty” design over functionality. They probably paid someone a lot of money for it. I still believe that no-one at CD really understands the Internet.