PDA (Personal Digital Aviator)

Has anyone researched the Teletype GPS software advertised in the May issue of AOPA (page 31)? If not I’ll do the home work.

It appears to be similar to the Anyware Pilot software for the Pocket PC (Made my decision easier about possibly purchasing a Garmin 295).

Both packages seem to make sense for one who normally uses a PDA for business organizing (extra RAM for the brain!) that can be used as a battery-powered backup GPS for emergency IFR or for use in a rental aircraft (Selling our Warrior in CT and need something to fly during our move to AZ until N204AZ comes home).

The Teletype package also includes street map software.

Any inputs out there on purchasing a Compaq 3650 vs. a Compaq 3670? Just more memory, $150 more, but not available at any price?

Appreciate any inputs

Walt

Has anyone researched the Teletype GPS software advertised in the May issue of AOPA (page 31)? If not I’ll do the home work.

Anywhere Map is worlds better in the cockpit, in my opinion. See the Anywhere Map thread below for more thoughts.

I’d go with the 3650, and I found it on www.handheldcanada.com for $466 delivered (even though their estimated US price was $482).

----------Andy

There is nothing better than a Garmin 295. And, you can connect a cable directly to the GNS430. It will then download flight plans and changes automatically. That way, if power goes out, the batteries in the 295 take over and there is no scrambling to stay on course… I use a 295 connected to a GNS530 and use it all the time. In fact, I have use yet-another 295 in the cockpit at the same time, with all of them on different pages, showing differt information.

It appears to be similar to the Anyware Pilot software for the Pocket PC (Made my decision easier about possibly purchasing a Garmin 295).

Both packages seem to make sense for one who normally uses a PDA for business organizing (extra RAM for the brain!) that can be used as a battery-powered backup GPS for emergency IFR or for use in a rental aircraft (Selling our Warrior in CT and need something to fly during our move to AZ until N204AZ comes home).

The Teletype package also includes street map software.

Any inputs out there on purchasing a Compaq 3650 vs. a Compaq 3670? Just more memory, $150 more, but not available at any price?

Appreciate any inputs

Walt

The 295 has approaches on it and other goodies that I don’t see on the anywhere map.

If you have the money, the 295 comes out on top in my opinion.

Craig T.

Thanks for your advice,

Walt

I’d go with the 3650, and I found it on www.handheldcanada.com for $466 delivered (even though their estimated US price was $482).

----------Andy

Hi Craig,

I want to upgrade my Palm V to a pocket pc (for the spread sheet,etc capabilities). I will only use the aviation software while renting a plane, until the SR20 comes home. After that it would only be used in an emergency. For my needs, the pc is the way to go.

Appreciate your comments,

Walt

The 295 has approaches on it and other goodies that I don’t see on the anywhere map.

Craig T.

I have the Palm V also. I’ve found a neat spreadsheet program for it called
http://www.cesinc.com/quicksheet/index.htmlQuicksheet. Works great and doesn’t use up a lot of memory.

Joe

Hi Craig,

I want to upgrade my Palm V to a pocket pc (for the spread sheet,etc capabilities). I will only use the aviation software while renting a plane, until the SR20 comes home. After that it would only be used in an emergency. For my needs, the pc is the way to go.

Appreciate your comments,

Walt

Craig T.