Which is the best palm pilot device?

Having seen various posts on applications for hand-helds like the palm pilot and others, can anyone tell me which of these I should get. It sounds like there are some killer applications out there between GPS add-on’s and the AOPA dierectory…etc.

How’s a guy to know which to buy?

Having seen various posts on applications for hand-helds like the palm pilot and others, can anyone tell me which of these I should get. It sounds like there are some killer applications out there between GPS add-on’s and the AOPA dierectory…etc.

Go to www.controlvision.com or www.anywheremap.com

They sell the Compaq Ipaq PDA which features the best screen brightness and resolution of any product in the PDA category. They also sell color moving map GPS software for the Ipaq that’s Windows based and works unbelievably well. The whole package will cost about $1100 or well below the Garmin 295. And, you’ll be able sinc with your PC, manage contacts, calendar, notes, music, etc. I use this for my primary nav tool in a C-175 with great success. It’s so easy to use and provides more features then the Garmin. Find out about their Cones of Safety feature. Good luck!

Having seen various posts on applications for hand-helds like the palm pilot and others, can anyone tell me which of these I should get. It sounds like there are some killer applications out there between GPS add-on’s and the AOPA dierectory…etc. How’s a guy to know which to buy?

Dean,

Here’s one interesting way to go:

1. Buy a Palm Pilot VIIx, street price around $170. It has a radio modem built in.

2. Go to http://www.cheapbastardsoftware.com/www.cheapbastardsoftware.com and download their aviation weather freeware.

3. Sign up for the online service for the Palm Pilot. Cost: $10/month and up, depending on your usage.

4. You now have Nexrad radar and email in-flight. Perfectly legal, since it uses pager, not cell phone, frequencies.

You can also download the AOPA airport directory to your PC and send pieces of it to your Palm Pilot. I dunno how much will fit into a stock Palm VIIx.

There are also E6B and weight & balance apps for the Pilot, although once again I don’t know if they’ll run in the VIIx.

Just for the record, I like the Compaq iPaq better than Palm Pilots, but you can’t beat the above configuration’s bang/buck.

-Mike

Personally, I prefer the PocketPC (WindowsCE) devices. I think they have a much better range of functionality over the current palm devices and the displays are much better. As for which one, I currently have a Casio which I like a lot despite many of it’s shortcomings (can’t read in direct sunlight, low speaker volume, no way to get exact battery life remaining), but am anxiously awaiting the new Toshiba due out this fall which address the shortcomings of the Casio AND the iPaq. I think this device will be much better suited for the cockpit environment as well as stand alone usage

http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2001_07/e1601/doc02.htm