Paint metering a Ferrari - true or false

I know there are a bunch of Ferrari & exotic car owners on COPA .

I took out my paint meter to help a friend buy a used car and did a demo on my Ferrari and Wow!! WTF. My Ferrari failed !! Numbers were all over the place with means in paint meter world - your car has been repainted - most likely from an accident…

I called Ferrari and they told me not to worry ! All Ferrari’s are hand painted and paint metering does not work on Ferrari’s. HMMM.
I googled this question and I didn’t find verification . My car also has the special paint “Bianca Italia” - which is a triple coat of pearl white - which my sales rep said would also create wild readings .

Thoughts ?

Having toured the factory I’ll say they aren’t exactly hand painted. The paint facility is a marvel of robotics, though it appears some areas are addressed with manual guns. Your special paint job is complicated (beautiful!) and could have more variance. Personally I’d suspect that a meter may not be so accurate with aluminum panels and not worry much.

Ferrari?

Just my $.02 worth, but you should have bought a Toyota. The paint job on the Camry I had was nearly perfect.

At least next time you’ll know.

I’m shocked that there’s minimal discussion on this . My Ford Gt is aluminum panels … I’ll try the meter and see if it’s the same …

Pearled paints are unmeterable.

Everyone’s in line at Costco buying hand sanitizer and toilet paper. [:D]

And apparently paper towels and Kleenex! None to be had at our Costco today.

What Jeff said. The pearled paints can’t get good readings.

Before they all grab the free food samples off the open group table tops, that is.

1 Like