Oxygen Source Needed

I’m a new SR22 owner and finding myself at altitudes my 172SP could never get to. Any recommendations on brand, bottle size, components, source to purchase from, etc.? Thanks!

Mike:

According to the POH, there is only one approved oxygen system for the SR22 (Mountain High), and only one approved place for it (the front passenger seat).

Aerox is seeking an STC for a built-in oxygen kit. They are looking for an SR22 owner willing to let them install a kit with a 337, and they need the airplane for about 2 weeks to do this. Once this is done they’ll go for an STC for it.

Search the Forums for “oxygen” references - there are plenty. You can get the details in the more recent posts on the subject.

What part of the country do you reside in?

Thanks.

I’m based out of Santa Monica.

Keeping an oxygen system on the front passenger seat sure sounds limiting, wonder what their thinking was…do you suppose hanging it from the back of the left front seat a real problem?

I might be interested in Aerox use my plane (assuming there would be a financial benefit to doing so.

When you say search the Forums…do you mean on the aviation web sites?

Again, thanks for your help Gordon.

Mike

Mike I think their thinking is that the only way the pilot can comfortably see the regulator and quantity gauge is when the unit is on the front seat. I suspect that having this as part of the POH has to do with some sort of FAA certification requirement but I don’t know for sure. While I certainly would not publicly admit to violating the POH front seat requirement I have a Nelson (Precise Flight) system that attaches to the rear of the front seat and works fine. Of course I never use it above 14000 feet or if I’ve been between 12500 and 14000 feet for 30 minutes The POH says that when Oxygen is REQUIRED then you have to use the Mountain High system.

Mike: I will presume to answer for Gordon. The Forums are this forum. Go to “search” and type in “oxygen”. You should get a list of links to prior posts.

In addition to Aerox, I heard at the Nelson Oxygen booth that Nelson is working on an “armrest” type of housing for an oxygen tank that will go in the rear seat. When my friend who went to Oshkosh with my CFII and I heard that she said that she preferred the seat back mounting.

The seat back mounting is also the subject of a lot of posts. The POH specifies that the system must be a Mountain High System and that the tank must go on the front side of the passenger seat. The idea, so far as I understand it, is that the pilot would be able to see the pressure gauge when the tank is on the front side of the seat. However, I find that I can see the gauge fine when it is on the back side of the passenger seat. So far as hanging the tank on the back of the left front seat, I don’t see that as a good idea. There is no way the pilot is going to be able to see the gauge.

So far as size is concerned, check Mountain High’s web site. They sell their basic system with various size tanks all for the same price. You pay for the number of stations. I went with the largest of those systems. I think it is the 22 liter system. The tank weighs about 12#. You can go with a smaller size if you like. However, I fill my own portable tank from two large tanks and like the idea of being able to make most trips round trip before refilling. Also look into the FlightStat oxygen monitor. I found it to be very helpful in monitoring your disolved oxygen percentage and in staying out of dangerous low oxygen situations.

In reply to:

I might be interested in Aerox use my plane (assuming there would be a financial benefit to doing so.

Aerox has indicated they would make it “very attractive” to the person loaning them the SR22. However, they’re in the state of Maine, so it is a little bit of a cross country from Santa Monica!

There are/were a couple folks a little closer to them that were looking into it. But if you’re up for a New England vacation, I’m sure they’d be interested.

Thanks for the info. I’ll check out the POH and mtn. high’s web site.

Thanks…very helpful.
Mike

“Also look into the FlightStat oxygen monitor. I found it to be very helpful in monitoring your disolved oxygen percentage and in staying out of dangerous low oxygen situations.”

Try avshop.com. Just got mine for $325.00 + shipping.
Richard

I’d get a written guaranty before making any reservations!