O2 question

Relatively new cirrus pilot here wondering about O2. I see in the POH, Cirrus mandates the system be approved and certified as well as located in the right front passenger seat? Why is that? I was under the impression that if you get oxygen from the hose it didn’t matter what system you use or where it sits in the airplane? Does everyone adhere to the POH? Just curious…

In reply to:

Relatively new cirrus pilot here wondering about O2. I see in the POH, Cirrus mandates the system be approved and certified as well as located in the right front passenger seat? Why is that? I was under the impression that if you get oxygen from the hose it didn’t matter what system you use or where it sits in the airplane? Does everyone adhere to the POH? Just curious…

Of course everyone here adheres to the POH religiously [;)].
Note that the POH limitation is only for when oxygen is required. If you happen
to want to suck O2 at 8000’ I believe you are perfectly within the POH limitations if
you suck it out of a portable bottle sitting on your lap (I don’t recommend this of course).
I don’t know why this limitation exists, and I’ve never seen a post explaining why, but
it is in the type certificate and if you are following the regs to the letter you must
have an approved system or stay out of altitudes where oxygen is required.

New cirrus pilot? What are you flying?

In reply to:

Todd: Congratulations on your Cirrus!

I don’t think anyone would ever suggest that you do anything contrary to the POH, but how many Cirrus pilots do you think put the O2 in the co-pilot seat when their spouse (or significant other) is flying with them. This topic has been discussed quite a bit on the Members Forum, and there are some pretty divergent opinions on the matter.

I know a guy who looks a lot like me and flies a Cirrus that looks quite a bit like mine that lashes it pretty firmly on the floor behind the pilot and runs the lines over a bungee cord that runs between the two hand straps on the overhead. One of our original members ‘invented’ it. [;)] This way the lines are out of the way and the meter thingies are easily visible.

You may want to join COPA and perform a search for “O2” or oxygen. You’ll find a lot more details on this subject and quite a few more. Quite frankly, I think the COPA membership fee is the best and accessory you can buy for your Cirrus. Of course, I am wildly biased. [:)]

My understanding based on a discussion with a cirrus rep at sun n fun is that the FAA regs for the part under which the Cirri are certified has some particular language about oxygen systems - which may conflict with the “portable” system language in other parts. He said this also affected the certified ceiling of the 22 - that for certification above 18000, you need on board plumbing…

The reason for the POH and Type Certificate is that any loose items of mass needs to be restrained for an 18 G Forward Crash Load (Current Regs) - strapping additional weight to the back of the seat may compromise safety of the aircraft with a passenger occupying that seat - Remember that the seat certified weight is 170 lb usually. Therefore in order to get around this regulation strapping 20 lbs to the front seat seemed to be a solution - However not a good one

Precise Flight Inc certified a system with a structural support that attaches between the rear seats and forms an armrest - it meets the 18G requirement without taking up passenger space. This system is available from the Cirrus Store
and caries its own Cirrus Approved Flight Manual Supplement

Thanks for the info (all of you) I’m actually renting an SR22 w/pfd/tks/engine monitoring. Not an owner…YET. Some day… a G3 perhaps? Copa is cool stuff! A wealth of knowledge for sure. I will most likely make the member plunge soon.

In reply to:

I will most likely make the member plunge soon.

Todd,
Owning, renting or fantasizing, you will find a ton of valuable information on the member’s side. For the price of a single good dinner out, you can get a whole year of this information![:)]

Scott
I have been communicating with Robert Adams about purchasing just the PF hardware (since I, like many others, already have “the system”). As of a few weeks ago PF was supposedly working out the pricing and other details. Any progress? As you might expect, my situation is not unique and would likely be a good market for PF/CD if priced fairly.
Richard

Todd–I second the membership idea—GREAT stuff there!!