Overall Performance

I currently hold position 312 and had my first demo ride about two weeks ago. At the conclusion of my ride I found myself concerned about the overall performance and climb rate of the SR20 compared to my Piper Dakota. I can climb like there is no tommorrow in the Dakota, 1700fpm easy. Any comments would be appreciated from individuals who have spent more than the 1 hr. flying I did. Thank you all in advance.

I found myself concerned about the overall performance and climb rate of the SR20 compared to my Piper Dakota. I can climb like there is no tommorrow in the Dakota, 1700fpm easy.

The SR20 is a heavy airplane, no doubt. It’s heavier than any of us wanted, including the factory. I, too, owned a big-bore Piper (PA-24) and enjoyed fantastic climb rates. I also got high shop bills, and 15 gph burn rates. For me the SR20 would keep me flying at the same speed with fewer moving parts. Since it’s largely jsut my wife and I flying, the extra weight isn’t a terribly limiting factor, but I do retain some sense of irritation that the initial rate of climb was listed as 1100 fps when my deposit went to Duluth. I will almost completely get over my grudge when my craft is delivered. The grudge will disappear and turn into a silver lining when my engine, or its replacement turbo-diesel arrives in the future. Full power at altitude with modest fuel burn is what most all of us really want. aa

1700fpm easy. Any comments would be appreciated from individuals who have spent more than the 1 hr. flying I did. Thank you all in advance.

Well,do your rocket packs cost alot?The dakota wont do 1700 fpm easy.1200 very light and may bust 140kts.Race an sr20 400 miles and you will see the difference.He will be done with his burger when you land.The dakota is nice though.It can carry quite a load and it burns a good amount of fuel.My 2 cents.