outside

Skylane owner here, always looking for next plane. Cirrus is very interesting…What are peoples experiences (if any) tieing down outside with a good cover. Can the composite take the UV rays ? Is this plane painted ???

In reply to:

Skylane owner here, always looking for next plane. Cirrus is very interesting…What are peoples experiences (if any) tieing down outside with a good cover. Can the composite take the UV rays ? Is this plane painted ???

ilikem,

Cirri are indeed painted. Our SR20 has lived outside for 4 years with a Bruce’s Cover, and the paint is in very good shape indeed.

Cheers,
Roger

Skylane to Cirrus would be a natural progression. Cirrus problems include that they cost a lot of money, and require an investment of time to transition safely. I kept my plane outside in Tucson in a shade shelter for some time before I bought a hangar. I used the silver reflective shields by Kennon that went inside the plane. I thought these provided better security for the headsets and avionics (no prying eyes), and they worked just fine. Plus they are light enough to take with you everywhere, and don’t get wet and heavy when it rains and you have to fly. Hey, I hope you buy a Cirrus; you sound like a normal person!! We need one more in COPA; if you join that would make, what, three of us total.

I have had to leave the plane out overnight on occassion (a couple times in the rain) and it is a very leaky plane. It couldn’t be designed worse…when you open the doors after a wet night, water that gathers in a little hatch and drenches the seats and dash. I always open one of the doors then put a towel on the other seat and then open the other door. I’ve heard that many others have this issue.

thanks Roger, does water make its way into the fusalage or cockpit at all. Are there drain holes in this aircraft ?

Some have had leaks but most haven’t. A door seal can go bad and I have seen leaky window seals. Generally the structure stays sound as the plane ages. I have more of a problem with the interior which seems a bit fragile to me. If you take good care of it then there shouldn’t be a problem. Just remember that the interior isn’t as durable as that on a modern automobile.

Paul

In reply to:

does water make its way into the fusalage or cockpit at all. Are there drain holes in this aircraft ?

I have been parking my plane outside for 5 years with a Bruce’s Cover, and have never had any water intrusion. I do know of a plane left outside in a storm with a door improperly latched with no cover that ended up with a lake inside.

money is no object…i intend to win the next two powerballs ! Guys, thanks for the replies and I’ll keep my
eyeballs peeled for a Cirrus I can take a ride in !

Hey, ilikem, what’s your real name, and where do you live. You definitely get a cirrus ride (right side up, I may add) because you have a wonderful attitude. Personally I doubt that you will win the next TWO powerballs, but if you did, forget cirrus, go right to Adam.

That’s why I would recommend putting a full cover on it if you leave it outside at all. I had a cover that I used no matter what when it was outside. My cover also covered the static ports which was a big deal to me to make sure I didn’t have a problem later. I definately like hangars better though![;)] The thing I really like is when you are trying to put the cover on by yourself in a 15-30 knot wind! I think that is where I learned to swear!

In reply to:

I have had to leave the plane out overnight on occassion (a couple times in the rain) and it is a very leaky plane. It couldn’t be designed worse…when you open the doors after a wet night, water that gathers in a little hatch and drenches the seats and dash. I always open one of the doors then put a towel on the other seat and then open the other door. I’ve heard that many others have this issue.

Are you saying that it leaked or that water collecting in the gutters around the doors drips in when the doors are opened? On occasions when there has been water collected on the top of the airplane from rains or heavy dew, a small amount (Tablespoons maybe) do drip in. I always keep a few rags handy to wipe my hands, etc., and I use these to sop up the water.

As for leaks, I have never had a single drop. I have never heard of anyone compl,aining that the plane leaks. If the doors are not closed properly, something that is pretty easy to see, it very well may leak, but I hardly blame that on the plane, it’s design or aging.

Are you serious? Adam? Go right to Jet and forget it! Hire you a nice looking stewardess while you’re at it!