Options

I was wandering what the general sense regarding options has been with the SR20. Having had a real life vacum pump failure on the way to Oshkosh several years ago means I have strong feelings about back up systems and a penchant for electrical rather than vaccum as well (Think option “C”). Having flown “autopilotless” for several hours in a 172 in real IFR has also shaped my desires in this area.(Again, think option “C”) I get to ride jump seat occasionally in DC9’s, 737, Air Bus and 767’s. I note that the professionals often (always?) let “auto” do the approach and landing when its really ugly outside. This makes me think think even more carefully as to what a single pilot IFR guy should be doing…option C? Or, maybe staying on the ground on occassion? :wink:

The prop is really an esthetic thing. Looks kool.

I could care less about leather and air conditioning is not a concern at this latitude. Stormscope would be nice but my sense is that it could be added for 3K less after the fact?

Am I off base on this latter observation?

So, what is the most common option being ordered?

I was wandering what the general sense regarding options has been with the SR20. Having had a real life vacum pump failure on the way to Oshkosh several years ago means I have strong feelings about back up systems and a penchant for electrical rather than vaccum as well (Think option “C”). Having flown “autopilotless” for several hours in a 172 in real IFR has also shaped my desires in this area.(Again, think option “C”) I get to ride jump seat occasionally in DC9’s, 737, Air Bus and 767’s. I note that the professionals often (always?) let “auto” do the approach and landing when its really ugly outside. This makes me think think even more carefully as to what a single pilot IFR guy should be doing…option C? Or, maybe staying on the ground on occassion? :wink:

The prop is really an esthetic thing. Looks kool.

I could care less about leather and air conditioning is not a concern at this latitude. Stormscope would be nice but my sense is that it could be added for 3K less after the fact?

Am I off base on this latter observation?

So, what is the most common option being ordered?

From what I’ve heard, folks are ordering a lot more C’s than Cirrus had expected initially. I’m in that lot, partly because of the geek appeal of all the gizmos, and partly because the coupled a/p might save my life someday. The B option is the ugly stepsister; as far as I can tell the only reason to get it is if you want the 2nd alternator but don’t want to spring for the whole shebang.

My guess is that they’ll sell mostly A’s with altitude hold, and C’s.

I picked the “A” package with Altitude hold and leather seats.

I did not want to spend the extra money to go to “B” or “C” and did not care about adding another 15lbs and no perforance gain on the 3-blade prop. Did I do the right thing?

I am probably going to do a lot of VFR flying with IFR reserved for the few times I must.

I picked the “A” package with Altitude hold and leather seats.

I am probably going to do a lot of VFR flying with IFR reserved for the few times I must.

I think you made the right choice - the A package is the best value if you don’t intend flying much IFR. The 3-blade prop is quieter, and looks cooler, but those are personal things.