OK all you SF-area Cirrusites

Unlike most of the rest of you who’ve weighed in from the SF area, I’m based not in Silicon Valley – near SQL or PAO or RHV airports – but in Berkeley, on the east side of the bay. From our house it’s a tossup in distance and travel time between mighty Oakland airport, OAK, and the more bucolic (and hotter) Concord/Buchanan, CCR. I’m looking for a FBO for rentals etc. Anyone have experience or opinions, pro or con, about these two airports or about specific FBOs?

Thanks, jf.

James,

I’m a fellow Berkeley Cirrusite. I used to fly out of Buchanan 25 years ago with the UC Flying club. I recently decided to take up flying again, and tracked down the club to see about flying with them while I wait for my SR20. I found they’ve moved to Oakland, so they might be a good source of comparative info. You can contact them through www.ucfc.org. I haven’t flown there yet, and I don’t know anything about the FBO, but I like what I’ve seen so far at the airport. For one thing, there’s actually some hope of getting into a hangar. I’ll be looking at Buchanan too, and I’ll let you know what I find. Please let me know what you learn too.

Unlike most of the rest of you who’ve weighed in from the SF area, I’m based not in Silicon Valley – near SQL or PAO or RHV airports – but in Berkeley, on the east side of the bay. From our house it’s a tossup in distance and travel time between mighty Oakland airport, OAK, and the more bucolic (and hotter) Concord/Buchanan, CCR. I’m looking for a FBO for rentals etc. Anyone have experience or opinions, pro or con, about these two airports or about specific FBOs?

Thanks, jf.

I’ll preface this by saying I have a 172 in leaseback at OAK in the Alameda Aero Club.

Tough call from where you are located. OAK is probably a quicker drive and you don’t have to chance the tunnel delay. Although you are going to have a better chance of VFR if you fly out of CCR. Price is about the same per hour.

If I could do it, I’d have my plane in LVK near my house, but I’m getting a better leaseback deal in OAK.

Thanks, jf.

I have a C172-M on lease to the UC Flying Club, located at Oakland. I am treasurer of the club and am therefore disqualified for bias, but I think OAK is far superior to CCR, especially for someone with an instrument rating. My plane (actually, my LLC’s plane) rents for $72 on the tach, which I think is one of the best deals around. The plane has the usual infirmities of a 1973 plane, but we keep it in good shape. Contact me for more information.

Thanks, jf.