Wheelpant protection

On N162CD the front wheelpant is badly scratched from the towbar (it’s sad to see). I saw Mike “The Rad”'s post on the wheelpant cover, but I’ve been thinking about the Invisi-Bra material from 3M, that they put on the front of cars to protect from rock chips, etc. It’s basically just a clear, durable, covering and I wonder why that wouldn’t work on the wheelpant. If that gets scratched over time you just peel it off and put on a new one. Gotta be a lot easier than getting the wheelpant repainted.

Also, this particular airplane suffers from a little nosewheel shimmy (they know about the SB) and I notice that the top of the wheelpant, right behind the pivot point, is also scraped. Is that the case on all SR20’s? You really can’t see it unless the nosewheel is turned to one side.

Thanks!

Konrad

(probably the newest Commercial Pilot on the forum)

What are the chances that the clear 3M product might decide to peel off during flight and get stuck somewhere it’s not supposed to be?

On N162CD the front wheelpant is badly scratched from the towbar (it’s sad to see). I saw Mike “The Rad”'s post on the wheelpant cover, but I’ve been thinking about the Invisi-Bra material from 3M, that they put on the front of cars to protect from rock chips, etc. It’s basically just a clear, durable, covering and I wonder why that wouldn’t work on the wheelpant. If that gets scratched over time you just peel it off and put on a new one. Gotta be a lot easier than getting the wheelpant repainted.

Also, this particular airplane suffers from a little nosewheel shimmy (they know about the SB) and I notice that the top of the wheelpant, right behind the pivot point, is also scraped. Is that the case on all SR20’s? You really can’t see it unless the nosewheel is turned to one side.

Thanks!

Konrad

On N162CD the front wheelpant is badly scratched from the towbar (it’s sad to see). I saw Mike “The Rad”'s post on the wheelpant cover, but I’ve been thinking about the Invisi-Bra material from 3M…
Hi Konrad…
I don’t know about this material from 3M - but anything that will protect the front wheelpant is a good idea. (Invisi-Bra?? Sounds like every high school boy’s dream…)

N84MR still has a scratch-free (well, almost) front wheelpant, after 81 hours, and LOTS of strangers towing it. I even cover it when I tow it - it’s just too easy to slip.

Also, this particular airplane suffers from a little nosewheel shimmy (they know about the SB) and I notice that the top of the wheelpant, right behind the pivot point, is also scraped. Is that the case on all SR20’s?

Thankfully, no shimmy - and no related scrapes - on N84MR so far.

Konrad

Congrats!

• Mike.

PS - The “Rad” part of my name is from

“Radomsky” - so my email is “mikerad”; of course, we could refer to YOU as Kon “The Rad”… sounds kinda cool!

To solve a similar problem on my Cessna I put a cushioning tape on the tow bar where it comes in contact with the wheel pant. Could that work on the Cirrus?

Lou

Thanks!

Konrad

Hi Konrad,

N208CD has also had some contact between the rear portion of the wheel pant fairing and the strut fairing. The back portion of the strut fairing was filed down (twice) to eliminate the contact. Cirrus does not know the cause but did send a new strut fairing to replace the old one which I will have replaced at the next service.

The A&P also determined that the strut needs work under the service bulletin, however I have not noticed any shimmy. He stated that the shimmy seems to be most pronounced in the planes with the tightest struts, i.e., those needing the least repair. go figure.

I have also scratched the wheel fairing more than I would like.

Stuart

Thanks!

Konrad

I think what they are talking about is leading edge tape. It would work well, it does on the wing leading edge, the only problem would be because of the shape of the wheel pants. The best solution would be Mike’s skirt.

I would recommend the leading edge tape on everyones wing. They are great for protection of the paint, and makes it very easy to get the bugs off. After I had to repaint my Lancair’s leading edge, I used the tape and it worked great for at least 4 years without any problems.

Have a great Cirrus day.

Woor

What are the chances that the clear 3M product might decide to peel off during flight and get stuck somewhere it’s not supposed to be?

Thanks!

Konrad

I think what they are talking about is leading edge tape. It would work well, it does on the wing leading edge, the only problem would be because of the shape of the wheel pants. The best solution would be Mike’s skirt.

Mike’s skirt?

I would recommend the leading edge tape on everyones wing. They are great for protection of the paint, and makes it very easy to get the bugs off. After I had to repaint my Lancair’s leading edge, I used the tape and it worked great for at least 4 years without any problems.

Have a great Cirrus day.

Woor

Thanks!

Konrad

Mike’s skirt?

Och Aye, Laddie… I’m normally shy about these things, but I’ll let ye look up my kilt… er, skirt, at click here Nose Wheel Pant Protector.

• Mike MacRadomsky

On N162CD the front wheelpant is badly scratched from the towbar (it’s sad to see). I saw Mike “The Rad”'s post on the wheelpant cover, but I’ve been thinking about the Invisi-Bra material from 3M…

Hi Konrad…

I don’t know about this material from 3M - but anything that will protect the front wheelpant is a good idea. (Invisi-Bra?? Sounds like every high school boy’s dream…)

I think you are thinking of the invisi-blouse.

N84MR still has a scratch-free (well, almost) front wheelpant, after 81 hours, and LOTS of strangers towing it. I even cover it when I tow it - it’s just too easy to slip.

Also, this particular airplane suffers from a little nosewheel shimmy (they know about the SB) and I notice that the top of the wheelpant, right behind the pivot point, is also scraped. Is that the case on all SR20’s?

Thankfully, no shimmy - and no related scrapes - on N84MR so far.

Konrad

Congrats!

• Mike.

PS - The “Rad” part of my name is from

“Radomsky” - so my email is “mikerad”; of course, we could refer to YOU as Kon “The Rad”… sounds kinda cool!