New tail number

Does anyone have any information on how to reserve a tail number.

I thought there was a web site that allowed a search on proposed N numbers.

Can’t seem to get any one at FAA Oklahoma to answer the phone!

There was a thread about this in late summer I think, on this forum – you might want to check the archives for more details.

But what I did (based on reading said thread) was to first check http://www.landings.com databases (both the N-number and reserved N-number databases) to make sure my number wasn’t taken.

Then I called 405-954-4206 (FAA Aircraft Registration in OK City) and talked with a real-live person there who was able to confirm that my top couple choices were not reserved yet.

Then I sent $10 along with a letter indicating my top few N-number choices to the FAA (see http://registry.faa.gov for the mailing address and additional instructions – looks like they might even have on-line reservations now).

About 2-3 weeks later I got a letter confirming my N-number reservation.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Clark, Try the site - registry.faa.gov/ and you can do it online, I hope. I just reserved a # for our groups next sr20 but I have not received confirmation from the FAA as it has only been a week. Good luck, Daniel

By any chance were you trying to call yesterday, 1/15, which was a federal holiday??

http\registry.faa.gov

you can reserve it andpay for it online with a credit card. got my confirmation in about 10 days

mike z N520MZ

I received a letter from the FAA today. (Am I the only one that gets nervious when the envelope says FAA?)

The letter started off with:

"Dear Mr. Gontowski

I wanted to congratulate you on being the first person to utilize our website’s online N-Number Request Service."

I first used the landings WEB site to determine that N204AZ was not already used (not 100% up to date due to prop. (pun intended) delays, but very helpful) and then went to the FAA WEB site to book the number. Actually quite painless! Who wants to be number #2?

(I forgot the WEB site but surf faa.gov)

Walt