N415PJ PIREP

We’re currently in sunny Palm Springs California, having spent the previous evening in Santa Fe.

Our route of flight the day before yesterday took us down to Crystal (MSP) to pick up some gas, then through central Nebraska, Kansas, down to Dalhart TX. We headed west to Las Vegas NM in the dark, landing in Santa Fe around 7pm.

On the first day, the flight was pretty boring, we were over a thin layer of scuz most of the trip down so there was nothing to see.

Headwinds were strong the entire ride, we were seeing high 170s KTAS at 6500ft. We did an extra gas stop because of the winds, and found that the AOPA is somewhat liberal in their definition of “24 hour gas service.” While the people in Kearny KS are very friendly, it’s basicly an ag strip where nobody lives in the winter. We found a phone number inside a trailer and called for gas…about two hours later we were airborn again.

When the engine is ice cold, it REALLY needs a lot of priming. I was starting to get worried that we’d be spending the night in nowhereland.

Made it into SAF last night, the pleasant controller was on duty and parked it at Santa Fe Jet Center. Very nice people.

Yesterday, we got out to the airport and the boost pump was inop. Simple electrical problem (couple of pins had pulled loose in a connector) and we were on our way by noon. Zeke at the Jet Center and Mike Busch on the phone did a great job of getting us going ASAP.

Departing SAF, the world famous “not-as-nice” controller was on duty doing both combined ground/tower. He put us behind a bunch of IFR traffic that had 30 minute delays, didn’t answer our calls, didn’t answer 3/4 of the calls other people made, etc etc. Hopefully he’ll be run out of town or learn to manage his flows better. Until then, I would suggest getting the ATC duty schedule for SAF and don’t fly when he’s on.

Walt and I headed west to the battleship Sedona yesterday. Flew over the Meteor crater, got lots of good pics. Saw >185 KTAS at 10.5. Light to moderate turbulence.

The 22 just slices through the turbulence. If we were in a spam can, we would have gotten bounced pretty hard.

Spent the night last night in sunny Palm Springs. The wx between here and home sucks and is forecasted to continue to suck for the next 2 days, so I think we’re going to leave the plane here and drive home, then pick it up later this week. :frowning: :frowning:

Not to defend indefensible and rude behavior, a friend of mine is a controller at a busy GA tower that serves little guys like us and a lot of corporate traffic too. FAA requires two controllers on duty, one for air traffic, and the other for ground, clearances, and numerous other detail tasks supporting the operation that must be done.

He says it is virtually impossible to handle both jobs at once, but nevertheless that happens when one of the two is on break, at lunch, down the hall for relief, or whatever. Despite controller complaints about such situations (that occur daily) to management, FAA says that’s how it will be. So, he says only the safety essentials get done, which doesn’t always allow for responding to every pilot’s inquiry about release times or other matters not essential to the safety of those in the air and on the ground.

This obviously doesn’t excuse lack of coureous and professional behavior, but sometimes we pilots simply have to be patient and understanding of the other guy’s problems.

Pete

We’re currently in sunny Palm Springs California, having spent the previous evening in Santa Fe.

Our route of flight the day before yesterday took us down to Crystal (MSP) to pick up some gas, then through central Nebraska, Kansas, down to Dalhart TX. We headed west to Las Vegas NM in the dark, landing in Santa Fe around 7pm.

On the first day, the flight was pretty boring, we were over a thin layer of scuz most of the trip down so there was nothing to see.

Headwinds were strong the entire ride, we were seeing high 170s KTAS at 6500ft. We did an extra gas stop because of the winds, and found that the AOPA is somewhat liberal in their definition of “24 hour gas service.” While the people in Kearny KS are very friendly, it’s basicly an ag strip where nobody lives in the winter. We found a phone number inside a trailer and called for gas…about two hours later we were airborn again.

When the engine is ice cold, it REALLY needs a lot of priming. I was starting to get worried that we’d be spending the night in nowhereland.

Made it into SAF last night, the pleasant controller was on duty and parked it at Santa Fe Jet Center. Very nice people.

Yesterday, we got out to the airport and the boost pump was inop. Simple electrical problem (couple of pins had pulled loose in a connector) and we were on our way by noon. Zeke at the Jet Center and Mike Busch on the phone did a great job of getting us going ASAP.

Departing SAF, the world famous “not-as-nice” controller was on duty doing both combined ground/tower. He put us behind a bunch of IFR traffic that had 30 minute delays, didn’t answer our calls, didn’t answer 3/4 of the calls other people made, etc etc. Hopefully he’ll be run out of town or learn to manage his flows better. Until then, I would suggest getting the ATC duty schedule for SAF and don’t fly when he’s on.

Walt and I headed west to the battleship Sedona yesterday. Flew over the Meteor crater, got lots of good pics. Saw >185 KTAS at 10.5. Light to moderate turbulence.

The 22 just slices through the turbulence. If we were in a spam can, we would have gotten bounced pretty hard.

Spent the night last night in sunny Palm Springs. The wx between here and home sucks and is forecasted to continue to suck for the next 2 days, so I think we’re going to leave the plane here and drive home, then pick it up later this week. :frowning: :frowning:

Sorry your trip home has been hit by mother nature! I got a good laugh about SAF, as I went to ABQ the one time I was passing by the area after hearing a similar story about SAF from a friend who sat there for 45 minutes in his Malibu listening to tunes near the hold short bars.

Would love to hear more of your’s and Walt’s impressions of the difference between a 20 and a 22. Climb, descent, landing…anything! It sounds like performance numbers are right on, congratulations to Cirrus. Also, how’s the Sandel…etc…

Just can’t get enough! And congratulations to you, Paul. You will forever be the first person to take delivery of what we all hope will be ANOTHER successful Cirrus creation! Pretty cool.

Dean

Paul, Thanks for the great reports. As many have said before me, keep 'em coming, we can’t get enough!

Two specific requests:

1. Please post your actual numbers incl. fuel burns, engine settings, etc.

2. Compare it to the SR20, or better yet, tell us about the differences.

Oops #3) Tell us what you think of the Sandel!!!

Thanks. Enjoy the plane and don’t forget that every time you begin your take off roll, you have 170+ of us just drooling with envy!

Marty SR22 # 20

Hi Paul, we are wintering in Palm Springs and live five minutes from the airport. Would like to know when you are coming back to get your SR22 as we would spring for lunch for a look.

Carl SR20 #207

Not to defend indefensible and rude behavior, a friend of mine is a controller at a busy GA tower that serves little guys like us and a lot of corporate traffic too.

The individual mentioned has a seriously lousy reputation at SAF, to the point where people have been complaining loudly to the tower chief. His primary weapon is silence. My personal run-in was when I first got my SR20 and was in the pattern shooting landings and he didn’t like the fact that I was asking for the option while starting to turn base (in the pattern by myself with no other traffic) so he gave me the silent treatment to see if I was dumb enough to touch wheels to pavement without a clearance (nope) and then chastised me for not asking for the obvious while on downwind.

The other three guys at SAF are great, and deal with the mix of jets and flibs with grace and warmth and even humor. No excuse for this guy.

I’ll have the performance numbers up, along with photos and a trip report soon. I wanted to give a couple of folks at Cirrus a chance to read it before I published, in case I said something patently stupid.

All in all, I am impressed. This plane has had a few more teething problems than I’m sure the rest of you will see, as it is the first production model off the new line. However, when you take into account that fact, the quality is outstanding.

I measure companies by not only the initial quality of their product, but also how they react to dealing with problems. Cirrus gets very good marks in my book.

I wish they built my car. :slight_smile: If Mike, Chris, or Brad ever wanted to work on my car, I’d hire them in a microsecond.