more re ANR headset

Sigtronics S-AR headset works with 9-12V current. Mark Kelley at info@sigtronics.com is quite responsive and seems eager to explore the possibility of adapting it to the Cirrus power jacks. He has asked about max current and ripple (whatever that is). Cirrus themselves aren’t very helpful here: it seems the company has written off their provision of ANR jacks as a mistake (originally designed for a Telex headset which is not longer manufactured). They couldn’t even describe with a part number the existing jacks. Can Mike Rad or anyone else help with the technical specs of the existing jacks and power supply so we can see if we can avoid ripping them out and starting over? Does anyone have experience with the Sigtronics equipment and how does it rate? Thanks

In reply to:

He has asked about max current and ripple (whatever that is). … Can Mike Rad or anyone else help with the technical specs of the existing jacks and power supply so we can see if we can avoid ripping them out and starting over? Does anyone have experience with the Sigtronics equipment and how does it rate?

Michael,

If the power supply jacks are the same as in my '20, then the connector you’ll need is a Switchcraft S766K, to mate with the L722A jack installed in the console. It’s wired as negative ground, positive center. The default voltage to the jacks is 9 volts, but there’s a DC supply board in the console which allows you to change the voltage between 9, 17, or 28. The same voltage is applied to all 4 jacks.

I don’t remember the max available current - I seem to think it’s of the order of 500 or 750 mA; at any rate, it’s well above what any headsets should draw. “Ripple” refers to any AC component (typically noise from the alternator) that may be “riding” on the DC supply; if present, it can cause a humming or buzzing sound in the headset. I haven’t measured it, because in my Lightspeed headsets, there is no detectable hum or buzz… so it’s acceptable.

Sorry, I have no experience with Sigtronics equipment.

Mike.

Chris Nowak, a COPA member, was able to quickly and cheaply (I think about $35) adapt my Denali headset to use the Cirrus headset power supply. Can still use 9-volt battery if I want to. Not sure whether Chris is still doing this, or if he can do it on other brands. My experience was very good on this. FYI, and hope I don’t get a taste of my own medicine with people telling me to post this type of thing on the marketplace part of the forum.

Andy

Hmmm, it’s possible that Cirrus may end up establishing a de-facto standard for headset power outlets! Cirrus represents the largest group of planes in the market with a consistent power outlet, if a couple of headset manufacturers start providing connectors that mate with it, then they will all end up doing it. Now we just have to hope that Cirrus has not already decided to eliminate the jacks - probably the only reason they haven’t already (since as far as they know nobody uses them) is because the DC power board that supplies them probably also supplies the 12V “convenience” aka “cigar lighter” outlet.

Anyway, I’ve found Mike’s suggestion of using the 9V to power my Archos jukebox very helpful.

thanks, Mike, you’re a great resource. I’ll pass on the info and see if they have an interest in offering a solution.

Thanks - how can I reach Chris?

Michael, while I’d expect that Chris wouldn’t have a problem with my giving his e-mail address, considering that this is the public forum I’d suggest an alternative.

Given that you’re a member, if you look on the members’ part of the forum, the directory has e-mail addresses. If this doesn’t work for you, I’ll contact Chris and get permission to give you his address.

Andy