Headsets

My delivery is still over a year away, but I was looking at getting a new headset now. I was wondering if the jacks in the SR20 are already active noise-reducing, and does this mean that one would not have to get a headset with ANR?

And does this apply to all 4 stations or just the front 2 set of jacks?

Thanks for any input

Yash,

Alas, there is no such thing as an “active noise-reducing jack.” The active noise reduction (ANR) takes place in the headset itself. So — if you want the benefits of ANR, you will need an ANR headset.

For a tutorial on how ANR works, http://www.anrheadsets.com/anr-tutorial.htmlclick here.

Cheers,

Roger Freedman

My delivery is still over a year away, but I was looking at getting a new headset now. I was wondering if the jacks in the SR20 are already active noise-reducing, and does this mean that one would not have to get a headset with ANR?

Thanks for any input

Thanks for the response. My question refers to the brochure that Cirrus has regarding the plane. On the list of equipment, it describes “noise-canceling power jacks for each seat”. Does this refer to a built in ANR or not?

Yash

Note in the referenced material that the noise cancelling is most effective for the two-bladed props. Three blade props are at a higher frequency where noise cancelling is less effective. For the higher frequency noise, the passive reduction on the ANR headset is just as important as the ANR.

Yash,

Alas, there is no such thing as an “active noise-reducing jack.” The active noise reduction (ANR) takes place in the headset itself. So — if you want the benefits of ANR, you will need an ANR headset.

For a tutorial on how ANR works, http://www.anrheadsets.com/anr-tutorial.htmlclick here.

Cheers,

Roger Freedman

Thanks for any input

My understanding is that the power jacks are obsolete. I have two Lightspeeds with their own power that I will use.

Thanks for the response. My question refers to the brochure that Cirrus has regarding the plane. On the list of equipment, it describes “noise-canceling power jacks for each seat”. Does this refer to a built in ANR or not?

Yash

The power jacks are for some headset configurations that are available where you have a 3rd plug for power, rather than using battery after battery after battery…

That was the original idea, but I don’t think the jacks installed fit any headset at all. The headset was discontinued. You’d have to get the plugs reconfigured. There are some posts on this way back when.

The power jacks are for some headset configurations that are available where you have a 3rd plug for power, rather than using battery after battery after battery…

That was the original idea, but I don’t think the jacks installed fit any headset at all. The headset was discontinued. You’d have to get the plugs reconfigured. There are some posts on this way back when.

I plan on obtaining the mating plugs (I have the part number) and wiring them to a little “battery eliminator” that will go into my existing (battery powered) Bose Xs, giving me the best of both worlds. Powered by aircraft in normal use but usable with a 9v battery an in emergency or in other aircraft. Plus I’ll save the cost of having my Bose Xs converted.

Once I’ve built one of these and tested it I’ll post the design here a la the approach chart clip.

Gordon

I spoke with Ian Bentley at EAA and the power jacks are for an old Telex design. They keep putting the jacks in because at least the wiring is there to be converted to whatever headsets you pick out. I did try them all out at EAA and the Bose are the best! For the price I bought all Lightspeeds, they don’t plug into any power source but they use AA batteries and last for over 50 hours. I have a battery backup for my handheld with 6 AA’s. So I’m trying to stay with the same battery type for everything. The Bose takes a 9-volt but the endurance is only 10-20 hours, if I bought the Bose I would have it hardwired.

I plan on obtaining the mating plugs (I have the part number) and wiring them to a little “battery eliminator” that will go into my existing (battery powered) Bose Xs, giving me the best of both worlds. Powered by aircraft in normal use but usable with a 9v battery an in emergency or in other aircraft. Plus I’ll save the cost of having my Bose Xs converted.

Once I’ve built one of these and tested it I’ll post the design here a la the approach chart clip.

Gordon