Massive Jeppesen NOTAM??

Over on Avsig the following NOTAM was reported (back on March 3, but I just saw it):
!FDC 3/1730 FDC SPECIAL NOTICE… SOME CONTROLLED AND RESTRICTIVE
USE AIRSPACE BOUNDARIES IN THE WORLD-WIDE JEPPESEN DATABASES CONTAIN IRREGULARITIES. DO NOT USE ANY OF THESE BOUNDARIES FOR REFERENCE OR NAVIGATION. THESE JEPPESEN DATABASES ARE USED IN MOST GPS, LORAN AND OTHER AVIONICS HAVING MOVING MAP DISPLAYS. REFER TO PAPER CHARTSAS YOUR SOURCE FOR AIRSPACE BOUNDARY INFORMATION TIL 0303200901

I haven’t been able to find this in DUAT. Does anyone know where this is available online? It sounds like paper charts are the order of the day. Unless April 1 came early.

-Curt

In reply to:

REFER TO PAPER CHARTSAS YOUR SOURCE FOR AIRSPACE BOUNDARY INFORMATION TIL 0303200901

Curt,
I noticed yesterday that the #3 2003 GNS update (effective 3/20) is already available for download. I may be wrong, but I think that it’s been published ahead of schedule.
So this might be the exceptional case when it would be sensible to install the data early (for airspace guidance), but reconfirm all other enroute and approach data with paper charts, so as not to be tripped up by premature amendments.
Turns out to be a bad idea…according to the AvWeb article, Jepp won’t issue a corrected database till April

–Michael

Curt,

There’s an article on this topic on AVweb:

http://www.avweb.com/newswire/9_11a/leadnews/183249-1.htmlhttp://www.avweb.com/newswire/9_11a/leadnews/183249-1.html

The article includes a link to a comprehensive list of the database errors.

Cheers,
Roger

Curt,

I did notice some irregularities in the airspace lines when I was flying out of OUAGADOUGOU in Burkina Faso the other day. To err is human, but you need a computer to really screw up! [;)]

I saw this article in my AVWeb AVflash e-mail this morning. Thanks for the head up.

Paper charts are colorful and cheap and give you something to do during those long XCs (fold, refold, throw in the back seat, repeat with next chart.) I always keep them current for the aesthetics as well as the precision.

Note that the circle around class D airspace on the 430s is synthesized and does not represent the true airspace boundaries. The databases in the avionics are insufficient in any case.

Just in case anyone’s worried, Jeppesen WILL charge you the regular price for the bad data they sold us. Just got my new bill yesterday. Right on time, no credit.

I read their web site about how sorry they are about this.

What they need is a little less contrition and a little more competition.

Andy

Roger, you are always amazing in the resources you can put your finger on. I looked up the article you referenced, and it is dated TOMORROW.

Curt,

You’ve discovered my secret! Here’s the cover of a descriptive document about my lab at the UCSB physics department.

Chronically yours,
Roger

My most vivid memory of watching Time Tunnel was when they broke in to announce the news of the Apollo I fire. I wasn’t much drawn to the program after that.

Actually you don’t need to go as far as OUAGADOUGOU. In my area there are reported errors as close as Monterey. I don’t rely on Class D lines of course, but I will admit to using the Garmins to skirt Class C areas.

What bothers me is I’ve never seen the NOTAM. It was reported by a TERPS jock on March 3 on AvSig, but I’ve never seen it in a DUAT report or heard about it from a briefer. The March 10 report from AvWeb is the first published report I’ve seen (and I suspect they got it from AvSig since thats where most of their writers hang out). So where did this NOTAM appear and how do we get briefed on it when it does?

-Curt

Dave,

I remember hearing the news of the Apollo 1 fire on the radio while taking a bath. Curious how one remembers these details…

Cheers,
Roger