Lycoming Service Bulletin

Has anyone else received a service bulletin from Lycoming? Here’s the story:

I checked to see if the registration of our airplane was correct in the http://162.58.35.241/acdatabase/DEFSTD.ASPFAA database. It was, but the engine is listed as a Lycoming IO360. I checked a couple other SR20s and several other registrations list Lycoming (although many correctly show Continental).

I sent an email to the FAA database folks and mentioned that there were several SR20s listed wrong – the reply I received was prompt (and wasn’t an automated response), but just said they’d look into the problem.

In the meantime, I received the Lycoming service bulletin today. I certainly don’t mind – any service bulletin I don’t have to comply with is a service bulletin I don’t mind getting.

But what’s more important to me is that if Continental issues a service bulletin, I’m afraid that as it stands, I won’t receive it, assuming they also use the FAA database.

I’ll follow up tomorrow with the FAA but since there are at least some other SR20s registered with “Lycoming” engines, I was curious if anyone else got it (or has any better suggestions for a resolution).

Steve

Has anyone else received a service bulletin from Lycoming?

Steve,

You raise a very good point; N84MR is among those that is listed incorrectly in the FAA database. Please keep us posted (so to speak) on your findings.

Thanks…

• Mike.

Has anyone else received a service bulletin from Lycoming?

Steve,

You raise a very good point; N84MR is among those that is listed incorrectly in the FAA database. Please keep us posted (so to speak) on your findings.

Thanks…

• Mike.

Mike & All,

I spoke with the FAA this morning. I was told that the guy who I traded emails with before is still looking into the problem (actually, he’s asked someone else to look into the problem and is still waiting to hear back). Hopefully, they will eventually resolve the issue and all SR20s will be corrected with the right engine.

In the meantime, if you want to correct the entry for your particular plane, you can send a letter to the FAA describing the problem, also make sure the N number, make/model, and serial number are in the letter. You also have to provide some proof that the Continental engine is in the plane. The woman I spoke with suggested a copy of the airworthiness certificate would work but I don’t remember seeing the engine type on the airworthiness certificate. (I don’t have it in front of me, obviously, so I’ll have to check next time I’m out at the plane).

Anyway the address if you want to correct your entry is:

FAA
Aircraft Registration Branch, AFS-750
PO Box 25504
Oklahoma City, OK 73125

Steve