Lancair 300 demo today (PIREP)

Had a very pleasant flight in a Columbia 300 today. Can only compare it to a SR20, which seems not fair because I have a feeling the SR22 is the Columbia’s competition. Still haven’t flown a SR22.

A few thoughts:

Lancair has new paint choices. The plane I flew had its lower half in royal blue and looked really nice. Nicer than the 22 schemes? Different, and as nice (I liked it more, but it’s close)

Avrotec/Avydine screen. Beats the ARNAV. That being said, they are coming out with Dual MX20’s soon as an option. I have one in my 260SE now, and I can tell you as far as situational awareness goes – dual MX20’s will beat either ARNAV and Avydine for me. It’s plenty big enough to see where you are on one, and the #2 can have your approach plate.

Panel/visabilty. Not quite Cirrus-like visability, but more versatile panel. Room for back-up AI, JPI…etc. Have to say this was the one thing I really thought about once I was up there. I missed the Cirrus view, but I liked the real-estate.

Interior. Feels smaller - not sure why except I think the shape tapers more near the top of the plane. If you look up - you are right there. I am not very tall - this may be a factor if you are.

Flying. Flies heavier than a SR20. Probably similar to a SR22. Climbs like mad. Stalls basically don’t exist. The horn was going off, but besides that I was just flying much like Cirrus. Think the term Stall is going to disappear sometime soon. It is a little faster than an SR22 (book at least). I saw 189 true without trying. It’s no short field champion, then again neither is the Cirrus. This baby liked the long pavement and compared to my 260SE I thought I was going to break the sound barrier on approach.

Overall. Much like Cirrus - the Lancair makes you honestly wonder what is going to happen to Cessna, Raytheon…etc. down the line. I mean - it’s a joke how much better these airplanes are in the air when it comes to everything from stalls to just plain x-country. Anyone reading this who hasn’t had a Cirrus demo yet (or a Lancair demo for that matter), DON’T, unless you are ready to never look at your old plane the same way again.

Had a very pleasant flight in a Columbia 300 today. Can only compare it to a SR20, which seems not fair because I have a feeling the SR22 is the Columbia’s competition. Still haven’t flown a SR22.

A few thoughts:

Lancair has new paint choices. The plane I flew had its lower half in royal blue and looked really nice. Nicer than the 22 schemes? Different, and as nice (I liked it more, but it’s close)

Avrotec/Avydine screen. Beats the ARNAV. That being said, they are coming out with Dual MX20’s soon as an option. I have one in my 260SE now, and I can tell you as far as situational awareness goes – dual MX20’s will beat either ARNAV and Avydine for me. It’s plenty big enough to see where you are on one, and the #2 can have your approach plate.

Panel/visabilty. Not quite Cirrus-like visability, but more versatile panel. Room for back-up AI, JPI…etc. Have to say this was the one thing I really thought about once I was up there. I missed the Cirrus view, but I liked the real-estate.

Interior. Feels smaller - not sure why except I think the shape tapers more near the top of the plane. If you look up - you are right there. I am not very tall - this may be a factor if you are.

Flying. Flies heavier than a SR20. Probably similar to a SR22. Climbs like mad. Stalls basically don’t exist. The horn was going off, but besides that I was just flying much like Cirrus. Think the term Stall is going to disappear sometime soon. It is a little faster than an SR22 (book at least). I saw 189 true without trying. It’s no short field champion, then again neither is the Cirrus. This baby liked the long pavement and compared to my 260SE I thought I was going to break the sound barrier on approach.

Overall. Much like Cirrus - the Lancair makes you honestly wonder what is going to happen to Cessna, Raytheon…etc. down the line. I mean - it’s a joke how much better these airplanes are in the air when it comes to everything from stalls to just plain x-country. Anyone reading this who hasn’t had a Cirrus demo yet (or a Lancair demo for that matter), DON’T, unless you are ready to never look at your old plane the same way again.

Dean, are they still charging $300.00 for a demo ride?..Ed

It is now $150 – and you get to play with all the goodies :wink: