Just Demo'd G3 - Question about handling

I just demo’d a G3 Turbo. I have about 350 hours with multi-IFR rating, but not much complex aircraft time. Loved the G3 and am seriously considering, but did find that the combinaiton of spring loaded controls and touchy trim made fine tuning attitudes and altitudes a challenge. Is this something that you get used to and master quickly, or is it just the way it is?

Also, anyone out there have comments in terms of the comparison between the SR22 and the Columbia?

In reply to:

the combinaiton of spring loaded controls and touchy trim made fine tuning attitudes and altitudes a challenge. Is this something that you get used to and master quickly, or is it just the way it is?

It takes some getting used to but after a while it you will get used to it and learn the touch. The best advice I can give is you just swipe your thumb across it for fine tuning the trim.

That, in my observation, is probably the most commonly reported difficulty in transition.

In reply to:

I just demo’d a G3 Turbo. I have about 350 hours with multi-IFR rating, but not much complex aircraft time. Loved the G3 and am seriously considering, but did find that the combinaiton of spring loaded controls and touchy trim made fine tuning attitudes and altitudes a challenge. Is this something that you get used to and master quickly, or is it just the way it is?
Also, anyone out there have comments in terms of the comparison between the SR22 and the Columbia?

Lots of comments – on the members side of the COPA forums. Lots of other interesting stuff about getting the most out of your choice, either Columbia or Cirrus. Best $50 in aviation folks report.

As for the trim, Roger’s comments just about cover it. Yes, you get used to it, many folks do master it, and that’s just the way it is! [H]

Have a great Cirrus day!

Cheers
Rick

p.s. Sign up for COPA membership now and get the special safety issue of Cirrus Pilot.

Why a G3? A lot more money and not that much difference. Take a look at the 2006 or 2007 G2s if you want a real bargain. There is one listed in the marketplace section for only $425K (no air) with 97 hours.

The G3 has a very different control for the trim. It has the same hat switch, but the motor runs about 30% of the G1 and G2 I owned. It takes getting used to especially on final. It seems to take forever at first. You get used to the fast trim quickly. The transition instructor said most former pilot complain it is too slow.

In reply to:

The G3 has a very different control for the trim. It has the same hat switch, but the motor runs about 30% of the G1 and G2 I owned. It takes getting used to especially on final. It seems to take forever at first. You get used to the fast trim quickly. The transition instructor said most former pilot complain it is too slow.

Perhaps because of the trim or maybe the absence of aileron/rudder interconnect, but I’ve found our G3 a much easier plane to hand-fly. I hand flew it on a 1.5 hour flight recently, something I never did in the G2.