Jeppesen Skybound Data Writer

Thanks for all the input.

Just checked with Jeppesen and they have a new Skybound Data Writer for the Garmin 430s coming out in October. I was ready to buy the data card writer and the subscription today and they said if you can hold off till October the new one is better and easier to use.

Never worked with Jeppesen before but any company who will turn away a potential sale in order to deliver a better product in a few months gets high marks.

Thanks for all the input.

Just checked with Jeppesen and they have a new Skybound Data Writer for the Garmin 430s coming out in October. I was ready to buy the data card writer and the subscription today and they said if you can hold off till October the new one is better and easier to use.

Never worked with Jeppesen before but any company who will turn away a potential sale in order to deliver a better product in a few months gets high marks.

The current Datawriter and software work, fairly well, but the process is a bit Rube Goldberg-ish. The number of steps is absurd. Currently they only support W95 and W98. I think the new version is supposed to support W2000.

Their customer service has been consistently above average, but their hours are (west coast) business only.

Did they happen to mention if they were changing the physical Datawriter or just the software?

Marty

Did they happen to mention if they were changing the physical Datawriter or just the software?

Marty

Marty,

They sure made it sound like it was a new writer. If it had only been software, they could have sold me on the exisiting one with the promise of better software in a few months.

One of the improvements that was mentioned was a reduction in all the steps involved in the initial setup as well as the download procedure.

Those improvements are exactly what is needed to make it work the way it should, however, I can’t imagine why they wouldn’t be implemented in software.

Marty

Marty,

They sure made it sound like it was a new writer. If it had only been software, they could have sold me on the exisiting one with the promise of better software in a few months.

One of the improvements that was mentioned was a reduction in all the steps involved in the initial setup as well as the download procedure.