Jepp/Garmin updates

Last month I successfully programmed some new (i.e. blank, purchased from Jepp) Garmin 430/420 cards with the Jepp Skybound datawriter flash programmer.

This month I tried to take the original two datacards (Cirrus/Garmin-supplied) and program them with the Mar 22 update, and the Skybound program complains about them not being the right type of datacard – I tried both types of datacard listed in the Skybound program, with no success.

I can still successfully reprogram the cards I bought from Jepp with the new data, but this foils my plan of having two datacards in the radios and two extras, ready to be programmed a few days in advance of the update changeover.

After waiting over 1 hour on hold for Jepp tech support and then giving up, I thought I would ask you guys – has anyone been able to reprogram the original datacards, that came with the radios when the plane was delivered? Or are they non-re-programmable? Is there some special trick to it?

I don’t see any part numbers on the cards that would differentiate the “blank” ones I bought from Jepp from the Garmin/Cirrus supplied ones.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

All of my original data cards have been reprogrammed just fine. You might complain to Garmin, particularly if the units are still under warranty.

Last month I successfully programmed some new (i.e. blank, purchased from Jepp) Garmin 430/420 cards with the Jepp Skybound datawriter flash programmer.

This month I tried to take the original two datacards (Cirrus/Garmin-supplied) and program them with the Mar 22 update, and the Skybound program complains about them not being the right type of datacard – I tried both types of datacard listed in the Skybound program, with no success.

I can still successfully reprogram the cards I bought from Jepp with the new data, but this foils my plan of having two datacards in the radios and two extras, ready to be programmed a few days in advance of the update changeover.

After waiting over 1 hour on hold for Jepp tech support and then giving up, I thought I would ask you guys – has anyone been able to reprogram the original datacards, that came with the radios when the plane was delivered? Or are they non-re-programmable? Is there some special trick to it?

I don’t see any part numbers on the cards that would differentiate the “blank” ones I bought from Jepp from the Garmin/Cirrus supplied ones.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

I have suuccessfully programed the original data cards which came with my plane (#37). It works perfectly for the dual installation.

has anyone been able to reprogram the original datacards, that came with the radios when the plane was delivered

Yes, I do that each month (did it this morning as a matter of fact). Definitely complain to Garmin, or try calling Jepp again. One question - is the coverage of the original cards the same as your subscription? I would guess the originals are the full Americas database - I see now that Jepp have regional options as well.

Have had no problem at all programming the original cards.

Larry N171CD (#80)

Or are they non-re-programmable? Is there some special trick to it?

Steve,

I did have exactly the same problem as you did. When I got hold of Jepp tech. support, they told me that some of the cards which shipped with the Garmins were not yet supported by the Skybound Datawriter. The card type is underneath the little green label, and is quite hard to read - but that’s where you’ll find the difference.

Since I hadn’t yet bought any extra cards, I ordered three of the kind that work. They charged me for all three, but did (or will) credit me for the two that came with the Garmins, which I returned.

BTW, I decided to buy only 1 extra, figuring that I can update the databases one at a time. It works, but the Garmins will not crossfill until they’re both on the same version of the database. In the end, the extra(s) may not really needed at all, if you don’t mind taking your laptop out to the airplane to do the updates. The only rationale is in case you expect a card failure (I don’t) or for there to be some problem with the database that requires you to go back to an earlier version.

I’ve gone through two monthly upgrades so far - very smooth and easy; works like a champ

Hope this helps.

Mike.

No problem with original cards.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Steve,

If you peel up the label on your cards, you’ll see an imprinted serial number in the plastic. If the serial number starts with 420, it is an “old” card that can be programmed with the datawriter. If it starts with 421, it is a new card.

Jeppesen will trade out your “new” cards for old cards if you call the tech support line. Ask for Scott, he’s actually their datawriter guru. Scott was claiming that they might have the new software before this cycle is up, but I don’t see it on the website.

One problem I had was that the guy on the tech support line was supposed to send me pre-programmed 0201 cycle cards, and instead sent me old cards with garbage in them. Luckily, I was able to burn the 0201 data into those cards since they were 420 cards. I mention this because Scott is the tech guru, not the order fulfullment person. Make sure Scott explains what is necessary completely to the order fulfillment person. Since Jepp doesn’t have a separate part number for old vs new cards, Scott’s actual solution was to send me out new preprogramed cards, it just didn’t happen that way because there was a miscommunication between Scott and the order taker (which worked out fine in the end, as I now have a set of 420 cards).

Last (and perhaps least), my 430s came with 420xxx cards, so I actually now have two sets of programmable cards, so I am a happy camper.

Paul

I had the same problem until I went to the Jeppesen website and downloaded v. 1.3 SkyBound software. One of the issues it addressed was datacard problems. It worked correctly after the update.

Jim W.

N112HW (Pos #172, ser#1128)

Steve,

I did have exactly the same problem as you did.

Mike,

Thanks for speaking up; I was beginning to think I was nuts after seeing everyone else say they had no problem programming the original cards!

For those who don’t know, Mike picked up his plane just a couple days after I did (in fact, I think I remember seeing that Mike’s plane is serial #1117? Mine is #1116).

Everyone who has said they’ve been able to program theirs seems to have significantly smaller position/serial numbers than Mike and I. Maybe it’s just newer cards that have this problem – or maybe there was just a short period of time in which these strange cards were shipped.

Thanks to all who responded.

Steve

I had the same problem with N747TG, S/N 1106.

Timm Preusser

Steve,

I did have exactly the same problem as you did.

Mike,

Thanks for speaking up; I was beginning to think I was nuts after seeing everyone else say they had no problem programming the original cards!

For those who don’t know, Mike picked up his plane just a couple days after I did (in fact, I think I remember seeing that Mike’s plane is serial #1117? Mine is #1116).

Everyone who has said they’ve been able to program theirs seems to have significantly smaller position/serial numbers than Mike and I. Maybe it’s just newer cards that have this problem – or maybe there was just a short period of time in which these strange cards were shipped.

Thanks to all who responded.

Steve