Insurance

Greetings,

I am conducting a little research to determine what insurance typically costs a SR22 pilot (500+ hours with an IFR rating). Much thanks for the info - it will be helpful in my decision.

Semper Fi

In reply to:

Greetings,
I am conducting a little research to determine what insurance typically costs a SR22 pilot (500+ hours with an IFR rating). Much thanks for the info - it will be helpful in my decision.
Semper Fi

Sergeant,

You need to factor in the value of the airframe (there is a big difference in hull value from a 2001 SR22 to a 2008 one) as well as how much liability coverage you want - especially if it’s based on a “smooth” limit or limited by seat.

Given those considerations the total premium could be anywhere from $3000 for an older plane and low liability limits all the way up into double digits for a brand new plane and very high limits with a pilot who has minimal time in type.

Insurance for me (250TT/IFR 0 Cirrus time) in '07 22GTS (hull value $480k) is about $9k/yr non hangered with UND training requirement. My '99 Archer (hull value $170k) was $1800/yr. Should drop quite a bit after first year. This is with Travers (Cirrus insurance source).

I pay $6080 for $450K hull value on a Turbo 22. I previously flew a SR20 for a couple hundred hours. I am IFR with about 380TT. I suggest AOPA Insurance. regards, Jamie

COPApedia (COPA member login required) lists four SR-22 insurance data-points for 2008. They range from $3,300 to $6,125. As Jerry points out, hull value is a key factor in the variation. But everything makes a difference.

All,

Much thanks…I forgot to add the hull value - which is approximately $280,000 (a 2004 model) and time in type; approximately 100 hours.

Your information is quite helpful; thank you all so much. It has assisted me in making a big decision.

Semper Fi

Just insured 2005 SR 22 $285K hull value, $4500 for one million smooth. I have 500 hours TT with 375 in type and IFR. Broker is Justin Wulf at Marine and Aircraft Insurance in Minnesota.

Phil