Insurance requirements

I just received my quote from AIG and it mandates supplemental dual AFTER Duluth for both my partner and myself. he is a 1500 hr ex naval pilot with an IFR and I am a 500 hr IFR. no accidents or infracs in either case…My quote was $7800…also need to fly 15 hrs solo after the dual…Is it just me or is this something new ??

I had a $5300 quote from AIG in Nov 2001 for my 22. ($300,000 hull and $1,000,000 liability). The delivery was delayed a couple of weeks, and when I asked to have the coverage bound the quote had expired. My agent told me that AIG wasn’t covering SR22s anymore because of lack of spare parts so I got coverage through W. Brown for $5500. They require an IPC every 12 months.

Roger Buchanan

Gary -

In one form or another, the insurance companies are all tightening their requirements, requiring additional training on the front end, and recurrent training of some kind down the road. On top of that is the 9/11 effect.

While we may not like it, it is probably fairly rational on their part. Most studies of GA accidents show that time-in-type is a better predictor of accident rates than total time. Studies of military pilots have shown the same thing. Obviously, SR2x pilots in general have low time in type. The time in type effect probably explains the high apparent 2001 accident rate for SR2x aircraft - nearly twice the GA average.

COPA is working several approaches to get access to better insurance rates for our members - but its a tough market for the reasons above. One initiative MAY offer lower rates to pilots who regularly take recurrent training, including the Cirrus Pilot Proficiency Program. More on that when / if it becomes a reality.

Bob Price
Chairman
Cirrus Pilot Proficiency Program

Gary,
I don’t think it’s just you, it sounds like a lot of training for a couple of fairly experienced people. The premium isn’t cheap either.
Greg

Question: Are you covered by the ins. co while getting the required dual and training?

Clark #765

Seems like a high quote. I got $4,900 from Falcon for my SR22 in June.
now I’m worried about my next invoice. geeeeeeeeze!

Holy moly… Thats $39 per hour for 200 hours per year if it’s $7,800.

Roger,

Did they also require the additional dual ??..

Bob: What’s the status on the date for the West Coast CPPP? Are you still collecting votes? I would like to firm up the date soon, as I have another engagement for the weekend of May 18-19 that needs to be rearranged. My vote is with the May date (which I already voted).

They required me to complete the factory transition program and have received at least 10 hours dual.

Roger

Are you covered by the ins. co while getting the required dual and training?

Read your policy, but in the case of AVEMCO any CFI accompanied by an approved pilot for the purpose of instruction is covered.

“any CFI accompanied by an approved pilot for the purpose of instruction is covered”

Confused.

Did you mean “any approved pilot accompanied by a CFI”?

“any CFI accompanied by an approved pilot for the purpose of instruction is covered”

Confused.

Did you mean “any approved pilot accompanied by a CFI”?

No. I quoted the policy as written (“any CFI accompanied by an approved pilot”). This allows the CFI to be PIC and be covered by the insurance.