In dire need of a warm fuzzy!

Tony

I upgraded from a 1976 Acher to 2006 SR22 just over 1 year ago. Love to fly it. Less than 1 week in for annual and that was about 2500. Oil changes… I do most at cost much less than at any mechanic shop and about 1 1/2 hours. 1 repair (A/C drive shaft at about $1300… Preventable?)

Line cutters (1 hour at SC) Had a nice lunch $1200. Fuel burn just a little more than Archer per a mile (lean of peak with Cirrus and faster speed ) .

Much more ramp appeal.

Most important: wife loves the increased comfort in both front and back seats… I have 2 boys 12 and 18… And this summer did transcontinental vacation.

Suggest 22 but 20 is nice… If no factory air, other options available

Good luck. Email or call…join COPA…not joining COPA is one thing I would do different…and I had previously flown about 100 hrs in SR22

Just so yr not horrified - this was the accounting at the end of 500 hours per year. I suspect even now that I’m short $10,000. So you don’t freak, this is an example of a bad year. For some folks it’d be less, but I suspect for my high usage, it isn’t.
iCopaImage.jpg

Gulp. The 30k for maintenance is the scary one. Most of the rest I would experience with my warrior (except at 100 hours a year I would use quite a bit less fuel).
Thanks for the info! I plan to use the sale of my warrior as my reserve so I don’t get hit with something I can’t afford!

Tony

Yes, it’s true. Bad things happen to good people.

What’s worse is that Alex does his own maintenance, so I guess he bills himself, and just doesn’t pay, thus it really isn’t an expense. It only looks like an expense. When you log on to the forum, everything isn’t always what it appears to be.

Better to have the info now then to sell a nut later.

Like cat balloons!

Wait…we can sell a nut?! Then maybe I can afford a 22! :slight_smile:
Yes, I agree. The information is priceless and really puts things in perspective. For 30k I could have a new engine put in my warrior and have some left over! I have learned so much since I have joined COPA, the most important being that I NEED a Cirrus! Yesterday would be good! But never fear…I am taking my time and intend to spend a little money early to make sure she is the one for me. The less surprises after she’s mine, the better.

Ok,
Yr call sign from here out is Hack N Sack. Good luck

$30000 on maintenance…OUCH! Sorry to hear that! I’m looking at $20000 or so this year - chute repack time…

Tony

Since 2002 I’ve averaged in the low - mid $20K’s, (1855TT now) not counting depreciation, money cost etc. It does include <$7K for hangar, and all the extras of ownership -annuals, TriTips, WAAS conversation, Jepp, oil, plugs,filters,avionic repair etc.

Of course I don’t hit birds so my ownership cost is less than that of Alex.

Cheap shot

Tony,

Don’t forget that the $30k for maintenance covers 500 hours of flying. That’s two or three times as much as the average COPA member flies per year. Welcome to the COPA zoo. I think you’re going to like it here. Just don’t step in the elephant poop. And stay out of the Hot Section. It’s full of elephant poop.[:)]

-Mike

Tony for what it is worth I’ve spent 36-45 per year (maintenance, payments, taxes, fuel, subscriptions, annuals, doodads, COPA expense, Savvy, PFD/MFD insurance, etc.) for a 2003 SR20. My annuals have run from a low of about $2,900, to $7.500. Median is about $3,300. Next year will be a hit for the CAPS repack.

I never thought I’d be able to afford a Cirrus, and after 5 years I find out that I still can’t. Even so my credit rating is still excellent, and I keep my bills paid… for now!

I think that it was Alex ( I apologize if it wasn’t) that said something like “I just keep flyin’ till the money’s all gone!”

Thanks John!