IFR ?

Just curious: what do some of you mean when you say “hard IFR?” Thanks

Bruce,

The term normally means ‘in conditions’ or in the soup instead of training or hood time.

Chris (168 hours from picking up an SR22!!)

Out here on the left coast I have taken it to mean IFR in actual frontal wx systems, where you’re in cloud/precip most of the flight and dealing with issues such as ice and turbulence. This is as opposed to typical marine layer conditions where you’re climbing / decending through the stratus for about 2 minutes at the beginning and end of the flight.

Ironically, we’re so used to 200 and 1/2 approaches that I don’t consider that “hard IFR,” but we so seldom see a thunderstorm that my reaction is to flee in terror within 100 miles of one. The point is that your definition of “hard IFR” may differ depending on where your home drome is and what you’re used to and comfortable with.

Gordon

I may have inspired this question with my remarks under “First Plane”…but I concur with all the definitions. “Hard IFR” is when the stuff gets hard, as opposed to easy! It’s different for every pilot.

With respect to my compadres on the other coast, hard IFR in the NE is a term that carries some weight…“219ab you are cleared to koxc”…(but not as filed) …copy a 6 piece route clearance thru the NY class b …into the clouds at 300 ft leaving an airport without a precision approach and getting the leans 1 min into the flight…cloud decks that tilt and wx patterns that argue over speed, shape and supremecy as you pass over the JFK vor during the “UN” dinner hour and listen to those marvelous “Heavy Pilots” talk to ATC as if it’s just another day at the office. Here come 2 re-routes at the corner of murk and milk 90 minutes later." 219ab, are you ready to copy?.." My 430’s tell me there really IS an airport down there and I couple up my STEC and get vectored toward CLERA. I marvel as the machine sniffs out the Glideslope and the whole system harmonizes…I see ground again (1st time since I lifted), tickle off the auto pilot and hopefully impress my passengers ( who could care less about the class b radio work) with a soft landing. As I taxi to the ramp, I try not to smile as I once again rejoice in my decision to not only get my Instrument ticket, but to actually use it …

With respect to my compadres on the other coast, hard IFR in the NE is a term that carries some weight…“219ab you are cleared to koxc”…(but not as filed) …copy a 6 piece route clearance thru the NY class b …into the clouds at 300 ft leaving an airport without a precision approach and getting the leans 1 min into the flight…cloud decks that tilt and wx patterns that argue over speed, shape and supremecy as you pass over the JFK vor during the “UN” dinner hour and listen to those marvelous “Heavy Pilots” talk to ATC as if it’s just another day at the office. Here come 2 re-routes at the corner of murk and milk ." 219ab, are you ready to copy?.." 90 minutes later my 430’s tell me there really IS an airport down there and I couple up my STEC and get vectored toward CLERA. I marvel as the machine sniffs out the Glideslope and the whole system harmonizes…I see ground again (1st time since I lifted), tickle off the auto pilot and hopefully impress my passengers ( who could care less about the class b radio work) with a soft landing. As I taxi to the ramp, I try not to smile as I once again rejoice in my decision to not only get my Instrument ticket, but to actually use it …

Out here on the left coast I have taken it to mean IFR in actual frontal wx systems, where you’re in cloud/precip most of the flight and dealing with issues such as ice and turbulence. This is as opposed to typical marine layer conditions where you’re climbing / decending through the stratus for about 2 minutes at the beginning and end of the flight.

Ironically, we’re so used to 200 and 1/2 approaches that I don’t consider that “hard IFR,” but we so seldom see a thunderstorm that my reaction is to flee in terror within 100 miles of one. The point is that your definition of “hard IFR” may differ depending on where your home drome is and what you’re used to and comfortable with.

Gordon

Well my thought on hard IFR…In 3 minute time period you say “Damn this sucks” then you know it’s hard IFR. -J

Gary,

That was not only eloquent, but sufficiently poetic to bring a tear to my eye!

:slight_smile:

Mike.

With respect to my compadres on the other coast, hard IFR in the NE is a term that carries some weight…“219ab you are cleared to koxc”…(but not as filed) …copy a 6 piece route clearance thru the NY class b …into the clouds at 300 ft leaving an airport without a precision approach and getting the leans 1 min into the flight…cloud decks that tilt and wx patterns that argue over speed, shape and supremecy as you pass over the JFK vor during the “UN” dinner hour and listen to those marvelous “Heavy Pilots” talk to ATC as if it’s just another day at the office. Here come 2 re-routes at the corner of murk and milk ." 219ab, are you ready to copy?.." 90 minutes later my 430’s tell me there really IS an airport down there and I couple up my STEC and get vectored toward CLERA. I marvel as the machine sniffs out the Glideslope and the whole system harmonizes…I see ground again (1st time since I lifted), tickle off the auto pilot and hopefully impress my passengers ( who could care less about the class b radio work) with a soft landing. As I taxi to the ramp, I try not to smile as I once again rejoice in my decision to not only get my Instrument ticket, but to actually use it …

Gary,

That was not only eloquent, but sufficiently poetic to bring a tear to my eye!

:slight_smile:

Mike.