ifr with composites?

I am an sr-20 place holder but now another 1.5 years away from delivery.

Whenever I tell someone that i am waiting for an sr-20 i discover a new reason why this is a “foolish” thing.

The latest is someone who said he heard that there are lots of radio problems flying IFR in composite planes due to charge buildup.

any thoughts?

Lary

The latest is someone who said he heard that there are lots of radio problems flying IFR in composite planes due to charge buildup.

Piffle. The SR20 has a copper mesh embedded in the composite for both lightning protection and static discharge.

This is just another instalment in the FUD campaign waged by those who don’t wish to have their comfort zone monkeyed with.

Whenever I tell someone that i am waiting for an sr-20 i discover a new reason why this is a “foolish” thing.

Larry: There has been one “radio problem” with the Cirrus SR20/22, but probably not what you have in mind. So far as I know, there has been no problem due to “charge buildup”.

The problem as I understand it is not due to the composite construction of the aircraft, but a manufacturing error in the first 50 of the SR20’s delivered. These owners were reporting problems with ATC loosing the transponder code replies.

Cirrus undertood that the transponder antenna, operating in the GHz range, needed a “ground plane” in order to function properly. This is a flat metal plate installed inside the aircraft under the front passenger seat, directly above

the transponder antenna.

When Cirrus received the complaints of poor transponder operation, a replacement ground plane was shipped. The A&P doing the installation of the “replacement” ground plane found that in fact no ground plane had been installed. The problem was narrowed to the first 50 SR20’s shipped.

To read the entire history, complaints and resolution, click “search forum” “archives” “title only” and specify the search term “transponder”. If entered properly, you should see a fairly lengthly series of posts ending in early May 2001 with the title “Transponder problems solved”.

So far as I know, this is the only performance problem related to avionics and the composite construction of the aircraft. There are certain engineering and certification issues related to installing additonal equipment where new antennas are required (radar altimeters and TCAS in particular) but these issues are largely structural rather than electronic. You might try a search of the archives with the search term “antenna” for title and text both, and see what that brings up.

I have logged about 20 hours of “actual” IMC time in an SR20. Never had any radio problem of any sort. Had occasional “recycle transponder” requests, but always in remote areas (and not related to VMC/IMC circumstances).

You might ask the person who provided this report where it originated, because it’s bogus. Maybe he was thinking about the problems lightning can cause, if a composite plane doesn’t have conducting wires built into its skin? (Yes, the Cirrus has conducting wires built in.)

Hello Larry,

I am glad to hear that you are still doing reserch even after having a position #.

Congrats are in order for having a position #, at least we all know that you did the right thing.

Let me assure you that you must have been listening to a home builder talking about problems or 20 years ago when they first came out with fiberglass machines. Talk to real people, Cirrus owners. I think you will find they are all very happy and did not mind waiting because what came on the end of the long wait line was worth the wait. If you find someone that is truely unhappy with the airplane’s perfomance I will gladly by you dinner at this beautiful Nation’s Capital. I think you can’t go wrong with that offer. In the mean time just think of what a great Cirrus day you will have when your day will come. Cheers,

Woor

any thoughts?

Lary

Larry, allow me to ad my congtratulations for the fine choice you have made. The SR20 is clearly one of the finest small aricraft manufactured today, and when you consider value, it is difficult to find any real competition for it. I am absolutely sure that when you take delivery you will be pleasantly surprised and completely satisfied.

You had mentioned concerns about charge buildup in your post. It is a good question and a very valid concern. In IFR certified most aircraft which travel the speeds of the SR20 & '22 you will find static wicks. These are specifically designed to dissapate the static buildup, which by the way, is much more common in the IFR environment than the VFR environment. You will note Both SR’s lack these wicks.

The reason: they have had absolutely no problem with static buildup. Between the FAA certification requirements and the number of hours flown by the existing fleet, you can rest assured that this has not been an issue.

Larry: There has been one “radio problem” with the Cirrus SR20/22, but probably not what you have in mind. So far as I know, there has been no problem due to “charge buildup”.

The problem as I understand it is not due to the composite construction of the aircraft, but a manufacturing error in the first 50 of the SR20’s delivered. These owners were reporting problems with ATC loosing the transponder code replies.

Cirrus undertood that the transponder antenna, operating in the GHz range, needed a “ground plane” in order to function properly. This is a flat metal plate installed inside the aircraft under the front passenger seat, directly above

the transponder antenna.

When Cirrus received the complaints of poor transponder operation, a replacement ground plane was shipped. The A&P doing the installation of the “replacement” ground plane found that in fact no ground plane had been installed. The problem was narrowed to the first 50 SR20’s shipped.

To read the entire history, complaints and resolution, click “search forum” “archives” “title only” and specify the search term “transponder”. If entered properly, you should see a fairly lengthly series of posts ending in early May 2001 with the title “Transponder problems solved”.

So far as I know, this is the only performance problem related to avionics and the composite construction of the aircraft. There are certain engineering and certification issues related to installing additonal equipment where new antennas are required (radar altimeters and TCAS in particular) but these issues are largely structural rather than electronic. You might try a search of the archives with the search term “antenna” for title and text both, and see what that brings up.
As far as Iunderstand the transponder makes a connection with a ground plane theat is in the fiberglass and the connection with the transponder antenna is made within the threads of the antenna when it is screwwed into the plane. I had a couple problems with the transponder but I think it has more to do with control radars and terrain.

I have logged about 20 hours of “actual” IMC time in an SR20. Never had any radio problem of any sort. Had occasional “recycle transponder” requests, but always in remote areas (and not related to VMC/IMC circumstances).

You might ask the person who provided this report where it originated, because it’s bogus. Maybe he was thinking about the problems lightning can cause, if a composite plane doesn’t have conducting wires built into its skin? (Yes, the Cirrus has conducting wires built in.)

I am sure that those who are spreading this “hate and discontent” are flying the old technology aircraft and have quite the closed mind. The military has been using composites for many, many years in the construction of the aircraft they fly. Let not your heart be troubled.

Chris Nowak(Former Mooney maniac)