IFR Approach Altitude Info on GPS's

I just noticed on the Control Vision web site that Anywhere Map’s IFR approaches include a display of the segment altitudes and minimums, plus VNAV hints as to how fast to descend to get to them in time.

Could any of you Cirrus drivers tell me if your panel mounted GPS’s provide altitude info for approaches? (I don’t think they do, but it would be great if they did!) How about the MFD?

TIA

Joe

Could any of you Cirrus drivers tell me if your panel mounted GPS’s provide altitude info for approaches? (I don’t think they do, but it would be great if they did!)
Joe,
I agree, it would be great if they did — but they don’t.
How about the MFD?

Same deal — no altitude information is shown.

Cheers,
Roger

The new Apollo GNX80 has it all. I’m trying to figure out how to fit it in the stack. Full approach!http://www.upsat.com/pr/cnx80_04-02-03.pdf

The only thing I need approach plates for (assuming I have a GNS430) is altitudes. I suspect that the altitudes are not provided just so I have to use approach plates. I further suspect this is an FAA requirement for certification. If it is not than competition will eventually provide altitude data.

Thanks, Roger.

I wonder why the altitude info is omitted. Could be a memory limit (though I doubt it) or, more likely, some regulatory restriction. With the Anywhere Map you enter your category (A, B, C, D…) and it then displays the appropriate minimums. Maybe that’s too much button pushing for the Feds to be comfortable with.

Joe

If I am understanding the question correctly, the answer may be because GPS altitude is often, not correct. GPS altitude is a combination of many satellites averaging your altitude above an object which is not all together round (the earth). You might find this helpful.
http://www.usc.edu/dept/engineering/illumin/archives/fall2000/multimedia/gps2.swf

Good point, and I agree. I suppose WAAS will eventually make it possible, but in the meantime it would be nice to at least have the altitude info, if not the VNAV.

Joe

In reply to:

If I am understanding the question correctly, the answer may be because GPS altitude is often, not correct.

That is a fact, but seems to have nothing to do with the poster’s question, which is why the altitudes specified for the approach segments are not displayed on the Garmins or MFD.

I think the question has to do with the Garmins providing minimum altitude information for your approach or route segment (database issue) rather than the computed altitude that you’re flying at the moment (you have an altimeter for that).

You do get the altitude information, but it is "GPS altitude. It is just not reliable nor is it attuned to barometric pressure.

What I meant by “altitude info” was a just display of what the segment altitudes and minimums are, not the actual altitude of the aircraft. Sort of like how the altitudes of SUA’s are given.

Joe

http://www.upsat.com/

Well I am getting confused. One of the advantages of the Anywhere Map approach plates is that the plate is displayed as you fly the approach, thus the little airplane in the GPS plate moves down the course. It would be nice if you could rely on the GPS altitude at any given point, but you can’t because the altitude portion of the moving map is not accurate absent WAAS

In reply to:

The only thing I need approach plates for (assuming I have a GNS430) is altitudes.

Art,

You can’t be serious? There are more things on that chart that you don’t get from your database. Personally, I think you know that. I don’t think you’ll live very long in mountainous terrain. Tell me where you get the missed approach procedures? The last time I checked, the 430 doesn’t provide detailed missed approach procedures.

In reply to:

The last time I checked, the 430 doesn’t provide detailed missed approach procedures.

Not to mention important notes - “Coupled approach not Authorized” “Approach not authorized at night” “Localizer signal unreliable inside middle marker” “Circling not approved NW of runway” etc.

-Curt

The last time I checked, the 430 doesn’t provide detailed missed approach procedures.

Mine does. The only thing I am missing on missed approach is the altitudes.

…and routine things, like minimum safe altitudes, local obstructions, time from FAF to MAP, etc., etc., etc. that also are not in the GPS databases.

Hopefully, Art was just trying to pull someone’s leg…[:)]

…and routine things, like minimum safe altitudes, local obstructions, time from FAF to MAP, etc., etc., etc. that also are not in the GPS databases.

None of those things are necessary if the GPS is working, which brings us back to not providing altitudes. Many people (myself included) might be tempted to forgo the approach plates and rely on the GPS or ATC if the GPS fails.

Art,
That’s not entirely correct. Your database does give you the fix for the missed and shows the hold BUT it doesn’t show things like “climb straight ahead to 2000 feet then direct XYZ”, or “left climbing turn direct XYZ” . These little nuances can make a big difference and they are NOT in the database.

Art: Regarding: “The only thing I am missing on missed approach is the altitudes” that is not correct.

Looking at the GNS430 manual under the heading “Flying the Missed Approach” at page 72, the following is found:

“2. Follow the missed approach procedures, as published on your approach plate, for proper climb and heading instructions…”

These instructions may include a climb on runway heading to a certain altitude before turning to the missed approach waypoint. If so, there is a definite reason (hill, mountain, tower, building, etc.) for that specific instruction.

If you just turned directly to the missed approach waypoint as shown on the GNS430 you may very well find out why that instruction was on the plate. I would prefer not to make this kind of discovery.