IFR Approach Altitude Info on GPS's

>> Mine does. The only thing I am missing on missed approach is the altitudes.

Your airplane should sell quickly because it has a one of a kind GPS. See you had a bonus aircraft afterall and didn’t know it.

Your database does give you the fix for the missed and shows the hold BUT it doesn’t show things like “climb straight ahead to 2000 feet then direct XYZ”,

If you read the manual you will find that they have already provided protocols for specifying that type of thing in the approach flight plan. The missing pieces you mentioned are once again related to altitude. As long as they are not providing altitude there is no temptation to not carry the paper approach plates.

Art, What you initially said was that the only thing missing in the Database was altitudes.
That simply is wrong. There are a number of missed approaches that require you to fly specific headings and those are NOT in the database.
While it may be true that the altitude information isn’t shown so that you are not tempted to fly without charts it is very important that you have the appropriate charts for all sorts of information (missed approach headings, Pilot controlled lighting, specific requirements, cautionary notes like don’t mistake the adjacent parking lot for a runway etc etc.
The only reason I harp on this is that your initial comment may encourage some people to fly without the appropriate charts and simply get crossing altitudes etc from someone and think that they now have everything. For some approaches they may but for others they may not. And if they don’t it can be very dangerous.
I know you wouldn’t fly without current charts and I think you ought to be careful with posts that may suggest to others that if they just get altitudes they have everything they need.
With advice like that someone might get hurt.

There are a number of missed approaches that require you to fly specific headings and those are NOT in the database.

Could you please give me an example, that is not of the heading until altitude variety (Garmin already has a method of displaying this type of course should they elect to provide altitudes).

In reply to:

Could you please give me an example, that is not of the heading until altitude variety (Garmin already has a method of displaying this type of course should they elect to provide altitudes).

The Burbank ILS 8 has a minimum rate of climb requirement for the missed approach (430fpm/100ktas no wind).

-Curt

In Reply To:
Could you please give me an example,

Here’s one: KHKY ILS 24, “climb runway heading to 1600, then climbing right turn to heading 340 degrees and 4000. Intercept the BZM R-274 to BZM VOR/DME and hold.” This “box” pattern for the missed is NOT DEPICTED on the Garmin when you go missed. Instead, the Garmin draws a straight line from the center of the airport to BZM. If you fly the missed as depicted on the Garmin, you will hit the control tower, one of several radio towers, or a small mountain just north of the airport. The VOR/DME 24 and NDB 24 have the same missed instructions, except the initial runway heading climb to 1600 is omitted (the MDAs are 1560 and 1640 respectively, so the initial climb to clear terrain (the control tower) isn’t needed). The RNAV(GPS) 19 and RNAV(GPS) 24 both require that you climb runway heading to 2000, then climbing right turn to 4000, direct BZM VOR/DME and hold. Should you turn direct to BZM as the Garmin instructs (instead of climbing runway heading first), again you crash into terrain. See also the RNAV (GPS) RWY 34 apch into KAVL. You fly up to 6500 on a 344 heading to UQVAK, then fly 351 degrees to OZONE and hold. The Garmin’s missed apch course sends you directly to OZONE.

The Burbank ILS 8 has a minimum rate of climb requirement for the missed approach (430fpm/100ktas no wind).

Thank you. I guess I should spend some time flying in the west.

Art:
This is not unique to the west. Multiple IFR approaches including several in OUR AREA have missed approach instructions that are not on the Garmin. The Garmin shows the missed approach hold point ONLY. How you get there is often a lot more complicated than just flying a straight line as is what you see on the Garmin.
You are treading on this ice if you do not use your approach plates WITH THE GARMIN even if it HAD ALTITUDES depicted.

The Garmin shows the missed approach hold point ONLY.

But the Garmin has provision for providing course to altitude on a missed approach. If Garmin started providing altitude information, I would also expect them to implement the course to altitude on missed. What Garmin doesn’t seem to have at the moment is a method of providing non course related comments (minimum climb rates). Although in the example given it would not matter since I always climb out above that rate, but I at this point I will concede that there are probably some approaches which, without Garmin note capability would get me in serious trouble if I didnÂ’t have the plates.

Little things like that still rerquire the chart to verify. Also, SIDs that are just heading to altitude departures are not shown in the Garmin database either.
The bottom line is that the stored data in the Garmin works on a “course to fix” format as the GPS only “knows” specific coordinates. So any instruction or procedure simply involving a heading or any course not directly heading to a specific fix is not implanted in the Garmin database. You would have to turn the Garmin into a text message box to give you all of those other instructions. It is simply not designed for that purpose.
What you really need to throw out the charts is an MX20 Apollo MFD that shows the entire approach chart right on the screen.
I hope we can get Avidyne to do that some day.

In Reply To:
But the Garmin has provision for providing course to altitude on a missed approach.
How so? As far as I can tell, It may be something that could be programmed into the unit (assuming program storage capacity exists and the extra code execution steps don’t degrade operational performance), but it certainly isn’t a provision now. They don’t even have course to altitude for the inbound approach segments (what your original post in this thread was in reference to, right?). AND, its something JEPPESEN would have to provide the data for, not Garmin (The folks at Garmin are VERY specific about not being responsible or liable for the content of the JEPP databases.)

In Reply To:
But the Garmin has provision for providing course to altitude on a missed approach.

How so?

GNS430 POH page 83 and 84. It is in the Approach section under the heading “Type 2: Course from fix to altitude.”