ICDS 2000 froze at MYF (reprise)

I remember a post or two earlier regarding the ICDS 2000 freezing while on the ILS at Montgomery Field in San Diego. [Unfortunately, I can’t find them using SEARCH – that’s another story].

I flew into MYF yesterday, and experienced a problem, although it seems to be slightly different than what I remember reading. As I got within about 20 miles of the airport, the ICDS 2000 reported “ACQUIRING” - and stopped updating the moving map. Oddly enough, I could “fix” it by cycling the map through the various engine monitoring displays; when I got back to where I started (main map + all engine monitoring), it said “REACQUIRED” and was OK. As I got closer to the airport, this happened more and more frequently until I was established on the ILS, at which point I was no longer able to “fix” it any more.

• Mike.

You have experienced exactly the same problem I have had in 163CD at MYF. I believe that ARNAV is still trying to figure out the problem. I’ve told them that, for me, the freeze up only occurs at MYF.

Bill

I remember a post or two earlier regarding the ICDS 2000 freezing while on the ILS at Montgomery Field in San Diego. [Unfortunately, I can’t find them using SEARCH – that’s another story].

I flew into MYF yesterday, and experienced a problem, although it seems to be slightly different than what I remember reading. As I got within about 20 miles of the airport, the ICDS 2000 reported “ACQUIRING” - and stopped updating the moving map. Oddly enough, I could “fix” it by cycling the map through the various engine monitoring displays; when I got back to where I started (main map + all engine monitoring), it said “REACQUIRED” and was OK. As I got closer to the airport, this happened more and more frequently until I was established on the ILS, at which point I was no longer able to “fix” it any more.

• Mike.

• Mike.

Mike,

A loose connection from the G430 Mike???

Denis

This is exactly what happened to me at Carlsbad-Palomar (near MYF). However, I’ve been in and out of MYF several times with no problem so the problem is preplexing.

My ICDS-2000 has frozen up a number of times and I find nothing that the event correlates with. Arnav has changed some components and is now preparing to ship me a new unit. I guess if it happens with the new unit, we could blame the software.

I have taken to keeping the position display on, that way I know sooner if the ICDS-2000 has frozen. I’ve never seen the ICDS-2000 unfreeze without reboot, but I never waited long either.

I have an SR22 with the EMM-35 option installed. The EMM-35 keeps track of the fuel burned even when the ICDS-2000 is off.

Sometimes I’ve flown for 20 hours without a freeze and then it happens twice in a few minutes.

But, as I keep saying, I love the Arnav anyway, and I’ll love it more when it stops doing this :-)(.

At least the Arnav support has been excellent, like Sandel’s. Cirrus customer support has been good about getting replacement parts, but doesn’t seem to understand avionics beyond a superficial level. Hopefully in the future, Cirrus will get fewer defective units from their suppiers and they’ll get avionics expertise in their customer service department. I know the names of some avionics people at Cirrus, but I’m reluctant to call them directly as I don’t think that would go down well. And fortunately, Sandel, Garmin, and Arnav have been forthcoming and open with information on the workings of their products, which mostly compensates for Cirrus’s shortcoming in this area.

Robert Bedichek

• Mike.

I flew into MYF yesterday, and experienced a problem, although it seems to be slightly different than what I remember reading. As I got within about 20 miles of the airport, the ICDS 2000 reported “ACQUIRING” - and stopped updating the moving map.

I have had exactly the same problem two weeks ago in France (quite a long way from MYF though). It was on a hot thundery day and I was also getting interference on the radio and finding it difficult to hear air traffic. Each time it happened I cured it briefly by changing the screen view. Eventually the problem stopped and went back to normal working. At the same time the radio started to work well.

Mike Glazer

N184CD

Turweston EGBT

UK

I too experienced this once on the way home from Osh Kosh. I narrowed it down to loading a way point after the initial flight plan. For some reason the ARNAV does not like that next or current waypoint. As soon as you sequence to the next point it stops having any problem at all. It must be a software event. I already informed ARNAV of my experience. Try “direct, enter, enter” next time and see if that clears it.

Lou SR-22#28

I have flown my SR 22 765DB in and out of both Palomar and Montgomery on the ILS several times and have not experience any problems with the ICDS 2000 or the Garmin.

Welcome to the wonderful world of software. I suggest people reporting anomolies also quote the software version # of the Arnav (and the Garmin if it suspected of involvement). My Arnav is 920AF, and the software upgrade Arnav is offering right now is 920AG.

-Curt

Welcome to the wonderful world of software. I suggest people reporting anomolies also quote the software version # of the Arnav (and the Garmin if it suspected of involvement). My Arnav is 920AF, and the software upgrade Arnav is offering right now is 920AG.

It’s been a while so I don’t quite remember does the software version show up at start up?

This is exactly what happened to me at Carlsbad-Palomar (near MYF). However, I’ve been in and out of MYF several times with no problem so the problem is preplexing.

Just curious, did you fly the ILS when you went into MYF, or did you go VFR or on some other approach? Sounds like most people with this problem have noticed it specifically while flying the ILS, so I wonder if it’s specific to that approach?

Thanks,

Steve

Just curious, did you fly the ILS when you went into MYF, or did you go VFR or on some other approach? Sounds like most people with this problem have noticed it specifically while flying the ILS, so I wonder if it’s specific to that approach?

I was being vectored inside OCI for the ILS to Palomar.

Scotty was trying to beam you up

I flew into MYF yesterday, and experienced a problem, although it seems to be slightly different than what I remember reading. As I got within about 20 miles of the airport, the ICDS 2000 reported “ACQUIRING” - and stopped updating the moving map.

I have had exactly the same problem two weeks ago in France (quite a long way from MYF though). It was on a hot thundery day and I was also getting interference on the radio and finding it difficult to hear air traffic. Each time it happened I cured it briefly by changing the screen view. Eventually the problem stopped and went back to normal working. At the same time the radio started to work well.

Mike Glazer

N184CD

Turweston EGBT

UK