Headsets

I am new to this, I have a position on a 22 for february. I would like to know which bose headsets would work on the 22 ? Do I need something extra ? Thank you

In reply to:

I am new to this, I have a position on a 22 for february. I would like to know which bose headsets would work on the 22 ? Do I need something extra ? Thank you

I asked the same question last week. The response I got and saw on my demo was that oo need for anything extra. You can plug the standard Bose set in OR there is a separate plug (lemo plug- I think) that uses the planes power.
By the way - What date in Feb ? Mine is for Feb 1st

In reply to:

Don’t forget “LightSPEED” Aviation, for headsets. Fully cover the ear, and at half the price of Bose. Also has plug in’s for digital music JBL future owner

I have at least one of all the headsets mentioned I have several David Clark H20-10, Lightspeed 20-XL,a Lightspeed 30-3Gp and 4 Bose for our SR-22 just to mention a few. The LightSpeed’s are almost totally unusable when the batteries go dead which is not that rare, therefore I like the headsets that use com power or what I’ve read here to be the “lemo” plugs. I believe the Bose are superior to all the others and to me are well worth the extra cost. The only complaint I have with the Lightspeed is that the ear cups are large and the seals tend to roll and become uncomfortable on the longer trips. Besides the SR-22, which we have flown nearly 350 hours in the first year, we have a Piper Saratoga and a 172 and I am having the lemo plugs installed in both of them just so I don’t have to mess with batteries.

In reply to:

Another suggestion ----

Buy two different styles of the BOSE —

Two - ship powered with Lemo’s

Two - which are battery powered ---- with standard connectors.

By purchasing the batt powered set – they can be used for the occasional backseat passenger, and also be available for you to use in another aircraft you may be traveling in one day ----

Congrats on your upcoming delivery ~

Thanks Ed its still not very clear, but I can just go ahead and buy the Standard Bose Headsets ? And what is the Lemo plug ? The date they gave me is Feb the 9th. Thanks Again !!

There is very little benefit in buying the standard Bose headsets. You will just have to keep feeding it batteries. The battery box is larger than the little volume control on the panel powered headset.

I originally had the standard (portable) Bose headset. It had a habit of the battery going out at the most inopertune times. With the Bose, when the battery goes out, the noise level increases substantially.

The Lemo connector is a now-standard connector for ANR headsets. There are at least 6 different makes of headsets with this connector available. It connects all headset functions including power in a single plug.

All Cirrus in the last couple of years have the Lemo connector in addition to the standard headset jacks.

If you want to use your Lemo equipped Bose in another aircraft, you can use an adaptor that has a battery pack that is sold by Avionics West at www.avionicswest.com. The adaptor is actually made by Bose, but I have never seen it sold anywhere else than Avionics West. This adaptor will also work with a handheld for emergency use in the Cirrus.

BTW, you can convert a standard Bose to a panel powered. Bose sells a microphone and cable assembly that screws onto the headset. It is about $175 AFIK. A while ago they had a special offer to convert the old style cords with the new smaller style and I did the conversion as part of that special.

Yup, Got it !! Thanks a lot for your help. So the portables are for the twin and the Installed are for the LEMO plug !!
Thanks again

In reply to:

Don’t forget “LightSPEED” Aviation, for headsets. Fully cover the ear, and at half the price of Bose. Also has plug in’s for digital music JBL future owner

Actually, there are quite a number of headsets made with the Lemo connector. I think this is a complete list (with at least one model from each manufacturer with a Lemo connector):

1. Bose.
  2. Two models of Lightspeed.
  3. A custom model Lightspeed sold at some pilot shops and the Cirrus store with SR22 branded on the headset shell.
  4. Seinheiser.
  5. David Clark.
  6. Denali.

You don’t necessarily have to buy a new headset for your new Cirrus right away, since the conventional jacks are also provided. However, if you are buying a headset, strongly consider an ANR model. Within the ANR selections, it is largely a matter of cost, fit and comfort.

You will need to bring a headset to Duluth of some type.

Noise levels are fairly high, particularly in the SR22.

Headsets are an individual choice and the best way to choose is to actually get an extended time with each one on your short list to see how they feel.

There have been a number of used Bose Aviation X headsets with Lemo connectors exchanged on the Marketplace forum so if you don’t need it immediately watch there. I have looked a few times on EBay, but I have never seen a Bose Aviation X with Lemo connector. I have seen various Bose Aviation X with conventional jacks. There may be some Aviation X with Lemo connectors on EBay and I just haven’t looked enough.

I recently bought a used Aviation X with Lemo connector. The prior owner preferred a Lightspeed and was replacing the Bose with a Lightspeed.

BTW a major customer of Bose is the Marine Corps. I saw a large number of what appeared to be the Aviation X model (obviously with a military interface) on a Discovery Channel documentary a while ago.

Finally, my usual plug for Aviation Consumer. Once you subscribe you can search all prior issues by subject. I haven’t seen a headset article recently, but they have reviewed most of the makes listed above so you can get a pretty good idea.

Steve,

I have the battery powered bose, the new style slimline battery compartment. I have definitely not found the batteries an issue whatsoever. They last a good 20 hours and that is a lot of flying for me. I keep a 4 pack of double A in the console and before every flight when I turn the headset on, if the light is RED, I swap the battery, no fuss. Once the light turns red, you still have like 2 hours so I could stretch it if I wanted and I don’t worry about the light turning red and running out of power during a flight.

Another bonus is that you can use them in any airplane or handheld without buying an adaptor from Avionics west.

You also have ANR even if your electrical system goes out :slight_smile:

Rick

I agree. That is what I did last November (13 months ago), and I have only had to change the batteries once.