Hanger

I am expecting my SR-22 during the first part of next year. I’ve never owned a plane before.

New hangers are being built at the nearby airport and I’ve put down a deposit on one.

I’m not sure what to expect. Are the doors manually opened or are there electric door openers like on most home garage doors nowadays?

Should I expect there to be power? Water? A phone line? What else? I want power and phone so I can put up a camera like I see others here have done.

Does one wash the plane at your own hanger? Or will there be a special area like I see at Petaluma Municipal, CA? Are there drive through sprays like a truck wash?

Thanks in advance for informing this newbie!

• Steven

I am expecting my SR-22 during the first part of next year. I’ve never owned a plane before.

New hangers are being built at the nearby airport and I’ve put down a deposit on one.

I’m not sure what to expect. Are the doors manually opened or are there electric door openers like on most home garage doors nowadays?

Should I expect there to be power? Water? A phone line? What else? I want power and phone so I can put up a camera like I see others here have done.

Does one wash the plane at your own hanger? Or will there be a special area like I see at Petaluma Municipal, CA? Are there drive through sprays like a truck wash?

• Steven

Steven, Your questions are good, but my answers are not. I’ve ‘lived’ at 5 airports and the answer to every question is; “It depends.”. Quite frankly, it is up to the owner/builder of the hangars and maybe the airport owner if they are different.

However, you may have some input in the decisions, and I would pose those questions to the owner/builder of the hangars as early in the process as possible.

About half of the hangars I have been in have electricity. None have had phone lines, but in one hangar, I was able to install one if I wanted to pay for it. (In one of the sections of hangars, the renters got together and split the costs.) None have had water. As for washing, most airports have had ‘wash pads’ but not all. Some hangars allowed heaters and some didn’t. Others allowed work to be performed. Some only by the owners and some allowed an outside mechanic to come in.

Marty

Steven

Which airport??

Building a hanger is like a house you can either take it spec which will porbably not include any of the extras you would like or you can have it customized.

These items will be quite useful:

Roof vents for the heat

translucent panels in the roof so you will have light all the time

lights, may be a set of flourescent tubes near the door, and larger lights above, note the ones that are usually used take several minutes to warm up and provide light.

Water, with a hose bib you can wash your hands or the plane.

A phone line can be very useful.

Check the tarmac or taxiway next to the hanger, to make sure there is not a steep slope into the hanger, it does not take much to make pushing it in a real job.

If you are near the water, make sure your floor is a foot or more above the highest known tide.

If you are located in CA, where I think you are, consider that most larger hangers have electric doors and when there is a blackout you will not go in or out for an hour or so. I know it happened to me. Good luck Bob

Make sure the door is wide enough. A 40 foot width will be very tight for an SR22. I am switching airports to get a 48 foot hangar for my SR22 due in November.

Lou

• Steven

Marty: Thanks for the info!

• Steven

About half of the hangars I have been in have electricity. None have had phone lines, but in one hangar, I was able to install one if I wanted to pay for it. (In one of the sections of hangars, the renters got together and split the costs.) None have had water. As for washing, most airports have had ‘wash pads’ but not all. Some hangars allowed heaters and some didn’t. Others allowed work to be performed. Some only by the owners and some allowed an outside mechanic to come in.

Marty

Which airport??

CA35 - San Rafael, CA (formerly Smith Ranch Airport)

Building a hanger is like a house you can either take it spec which will porbably not include any of the extras you would like or you can have it customized.

These items will be quite useful:

Roof vents for the heat

translucent panels in the roof so you will have light all the time

Clever!

lights, may be a set of flourescent tubes near the door, and larger lights above, note the ones that are usually used take several minutes to warm up and provide light.

I have a friend in the lighting business who can supply me with good fixtures, so I’ll tell the builder to skip installing junk ones!

Water, with a hose bib you can wash your hands or the plane.

A phone line can be very useful.

Check the tarmac or taxiway next to the hanger, to make sure there is not a steep slope into the hanger, it does not take much to make pushing it in a real job.

Good Point!

If you are near the water, make sure your floor is a foot or more above the highest known tide.

The whole airport is being raised to avoid flooding.

If you are located in CA, where I think you are, consider that most larger hangers have electric doors and when there is a blackout you will not go in or out for an hour or so. I know it happened to me. Good luck Bob

Hmmm, either I’ll need the manual override, or a battery backup.

Thanks for the tips, Bob!

• Steven