Glideslope Indicator Problem - &quotC&quot Config

I’ve noticed that on the electric HSI, the glideslope indicator oftentimes is stuck in the one line down position. Cross-checking this on the Garmin glideslope indicator confirms this. Obviously a big problem in IMC. Any other experience with this?

By the way, the nose gear shimmy was due to a tire that had a leak, and was down to 20 lbs. New tire (no hassle from CD); no more problem.

I’m coming to the conclusion that buying a new plane that is new technology requires a timely due diligence process to get it right. CD’s responsiveness, and of course the incredible plane itself, makes it a good investment.

I’ve noticed that on the electric HSI, the glideslope indicator oftentimes is stuck in the one line down position. Cross-checking this on the Garmin glideslope indicator confirms this. Obviously a big problem in IMC. Any other experience with this?

Andy,

I have the vacuum HSI but I assume the glideslope mechanism isn’t that different between the two. My HSI’s glideslope flag was stuck at the center position (i.e. you’re right on the glideslope) during the Garmin 430 startup procedure. going into the Garmin setup mode and trying to force the glideslope up, down, etc. didn’t change it, it still stuck right at the center position with no flag. Flying a couple ILSs (in VMC of course!!) actually showed the needle appear to work, but since it didn’t work in the startup test, I still wasn’t very confident in it.

Anyway, I took it in, got it fixed by century, and a few weeks later the same thing happened. I took it in again, again it was fixed by Century, and so far it’s still working.

It would be nice for them to have some kind of closed-loop control system for the glideslope needle, so that if the appropriate voltage is being applied to the system, but yet the needle is not in the right place, it could be flagged…

I just read an article in the “free” book that comes with a new IFR Magazine subscription about a Lear which crashed because the co-pilot glideslope needle was showing “fly-down” even though they were already 400 ft below the glideslope… so let’s be careful, double check the glideslope intercept altitude, etc…

Steve

Stev, Andy -

Have had the same problem on my Socata TB10 - pilot-sdie GS would “stick” with no flag.

Turned out the problem on my plane was a diry / oily antenna (weak reception of the glideslope signal), but I’ve gotten in the habit of ALWAYS flying an ILS approach on both CDI/GSs simultaneuoly. Doesn’t take much effort to check one versus the other in the scan every 15 secs or so. You quickly notice if they aren’t identical.

And, with a GPS / map onboard, there shouldn’t be much need for the second CDI/GS indicator on the SR22 anyway.

Bob

Andy,

I have the vacuum HSI but I assume the glideslope mechanism isn’t that different between the two. My HSI’s glideslope flag was stuck at the center position (i.e. you’re right on the glideslope) during the Garmin 430 startup procedure. going into the Garmin setup mode and trying to force the glideslope up, down, etc. didn’t change it, it still stuck right at the center position with no flag. Flying a couple ILSs (in VMC of course!!) actually showed the needle appear to work, but since it didn’t work in the startup test, I still wasn’t very confident in it.

Anyway, I took it in, got it fixed by century, and a few weeks later the same thing happened. I took it in again, again it was fixed by Century, and so far it’s still working.

It would be nice for them to have some kind of closed-loop control system for the glideslope needle, so that if the appropriate voltage is being applied to the system, but yet the needle is not in the right place, it could be flagged…

I just read an article in the “free” book that comes with a new IFR Magazine subscription about a Lear which crashed because the co-pilot glideslope needle was showing “fly-down” even though they were already 400 ft below the glideslope… so let’s be careful, double check the glideslope intercept altitude, etc…

Steve

Hi,

I have gone thru several electric Century HSIs. The first one did exactly as you describe, the glideslope flag would stick, but without any flag. Two other HSIs have had a problem of having the glideslope flagged, even though the glideslope received a valid signal and gave valid indications. Our latest HSI also has that problem.

have that same problem on N144CD, stuck glideslope that unstucks at some point… Fixing it seems a problem. i know of at least one other similar pb in Europe. The C model has the good old VOR/ILS, so that’s the backup.

Still, seeing all the stucking GS indicators on the Century, it makes you wonder about pying top $ foir quality and speed/effectiveness of service.

HK

Hi,

I have gone thru several electric Century HSIs. The first one did exactly as you describe, the glideslope flag would stick, but without any flag. Two other HSIs have had a problem of having the glideslope flagged, even though the glideslope received a valid signal and gave valid indications. Our latest HSI also has that problem.