Century Electric HSI

I’m beginning to think I have the Century jinx. The first one had the glideslope stuck in the one notch down position. The second one had a glideslope that worked fine, but the flag was always down. Number three seemed to be the charm until yesterday.

As I was adjusting the heading bug, it snagged the yellow arrow tip and bent it about three degrees. For the life of me, I can’t figure out what made the heading bug do this. If I could figure it out, I could bend it back.

If I can’t figure out a fix, I’ll either have to go to CD (who has been great on exchanging) and ask for number four, which I hate to do. Or, I can have the HSI sent to Century for repair, perhaps during a time when the plane is already down such as during annual.

Any input on this would be appreciated. Also, I’m open to input on any effective good luck on Century rituals, dances, prayers, etc.

Hello Andy,

This is a vital instrument, the only thing you want to do is call Cirrus have them ship one out to you and when it get here it is a 10 minute (if the coffee is not too hot)to exchange and then send the bad one back to Cirrus as fast as they send the one to you. It is as important for them to get your part back as it is for you to have a good one on hand.

Now, I wonder who worked on your baby, was is it jim, james or gluedude?

Cheers,

Woor

I’m beginning to think I have the Century jinx. The first one had the glideslope stuck in the one notch down position. The second one had a glideslope that worked fine, but the flag was always down. Number three seemed to be the charm until yesterday.

As I was adjusting the heading bug, it snagged the yellow arrow tip and bent it about three degrees. For the life of me, I can’t figure out what made the heading bug do this. If I could figure it out, I could bend it back.

If I can’t figure out a fix, I’ll either have to go to CD (who has been great on exchanging) and ask for number four, which I hate to do. Or, I can have the HSI sent to Century for repair, perhaps during a time when the plane is already down such as during annual.

Any input on this would be appreciated. Also, I’m open to input on any effective good luck on Century rituals, dances, prayers, etc.

FWIW, When I was at Cirrus to pick up my '22, a company official said something to the effect that the Century HSI was a reliability disaster and that they would switch HSI suppliers just as soon as they possibly could.

Given all the trouble you’ve been through, I wonder if you could send Cirrus the dead HSI and some cash and get a Sandel as a replacement.

Hello Woor,

Your point is well taken.

By the way, I’ve had vitrually no problems with the Cirrus-built parts. The Century, well that’s another story.

All said, still very much in love!

Andy

Hello Andy,

This is a vital instrument, the only thing you want to do is call Cirrus have them ship one out to you and when it get here it is a 10 minute (if the coffee is not too hot)to exchange and then send the bad one back to Cirrus as fast as they send the one to you. It is as important for them to get your part back as it is for you to have a good one on hand.

Now, I wonder who worked on your baby, was is it jim, james or gluedude?

Cheers,

Woor

FWIW, When I was at Cirrus to pick up my '22, a company official said something to the effect that the Century HSI was a reliability disaster and that they would switch HSI suppliers just as soon as they possibly could.

Given all the trouble you’ve been through, I wonder if you could send Cirrus the dead HSI and some cash and get a Sandel as a replacement.

Unfortunately not so easy. The Sandel requires an external gyro, as it is essentially nothing but a computer and a display.