Garmin Software Upgrade

Just learned of and saw the latest software upgrade for the Garmin GNS 420/430 (Version 3.0). While I’m not sure of ALL the upgrades/changes that are involved, there is one that I know of that is worth noting.

This new version adds an additional Page to the NAV Chapter (inserted after the existing Page 3). This new page allows those who have both TCAD and Stormscope to have a page dedicated to each. Previously, there was only one page for both these systems and you had to decide whether you wanted that page to display TCAD or Stormscope info. So, now you don’t have to go into MENU anymore and tell the Garmin what to display or to change the display when you want the other system’s info. You just scroll over to the other system’s dedicated page. Simple and efficient.

Maybe this upgrade is something some of you might want to get next time your plane’s in for an annual or other routine maintenance.

Fly Safe,
~Matt McDaniel
Progressive Aviation Services

Are you sure it is Garmin software version 3.0? I just got an SA (SA 02-14) from Cirrus advising AGAINST upgrading to Garmin software version 2.26 because “Installing this software will have a negative affect on SKYWATCH operation

If software version 3.0 really is available, does anybody know if version 3.0 solves the problem inferenced in the Cirrus SA?

Matt,

Do you know if this is the MAIN software or is it one of the other 5 software items in this unit?

In reply to:

Garmin software version 2.26 because “Installing this software will have a negative affect on SKYWATCH operation”

One problem is that you can’t change any of the mode settings NORM/ABV/BLW/UNR. Avionics guy rolled back to 2.25. Dunno about 3.0.

Anyone know a way to set up the Garmin to initialize Skywatch in UNR mode?

Cheers
Rick

No, it is NOT the Version 2.26. I just checked again and all TCAD modes are still selectable and work fine. It is Version 3.00 for both the MAIN software and the GPS software. Sorry, I didn’t make note of the Version numbers for the other software components.

Hope that helps.
~Matt McDaniel
Progressive Aviation Services

In reply to:

It is Version 3.00 for both the MAIN software and the GPS software.

3.00 is also the software version contained in the latest Garmin 430 simulator, available here.