Fuel Level

Inspired by Peter/Del’s outstanding “EngineView” report below, I’d like to pose the following mundane question:

The ARNAV system runs its most critical fuel calculations from a pilot-input starting-fuel baseline, so…

How do you know the starting fuel level?

Have any of you clever bathroom-rug-and-bungee-cord-recycling SR20/22 owners devised an accurate dipstick or other means of knowing your starting level? I realize that best-practice might dictate always starting at full or tabs, but there must be many times when you pull into an airport without available fuel and would like to know your capability to the next stop.

As always, we profit from your experience…

Starting baseline is typically full tanks.

Then, if you don’t add fuel, it continues with the remaining fuel from prior flight.

If you add fuel, you have the option of filling tanks or entering a specific number of gallons.

As long as you fill reasonably often, I’ve found my fuel computer to be accurate within a gallon or so.

Bob

Inspired by Peter/Del’s outstanding “EngineView” report below, I’d like to pose the following mundane question:

The ARNAV system runs its most critical fuel calculations from a pilot-input starting-fuel baseline, so…

How do you know the starting fuel level?

Have any of you clever bathroom-rug-and-bungee-cord-recycling SR20/22 owners devised an accurate dipstick or other means of knowing your starting level? I realize that best-practice might dictate always starting at full or tabs, but there must be many times when you pull into an airport without available fuel and would like to know your capability to the next stop.

As always, we profit from your experience…

Have any of you … devised an accurate dipstick…

Michael,

You have the answer. I use a dipstick with generic markings (about 1/2 inch apart) which I bought at some FBO; I’m pretty sure Sporty’s sells one as well. Calibrating it is simple, and it will be forever useful.

Mike.