Fuel Capacity, Usefull Load and Engine Monitoring

I am sold on the SR-20 for a number of reasons (not the least of which is having a real out in case of an in the soup engine failure)but wonder a couple of things. The fuel capacity seems a little light for a new design (an AA5B Tiger I had years ago carried almost as much fuel). Even 65 usable gallons would have provided a significant improvement in range. The 182S I currently fly (until the SR-20 arrives) carries 88 usable and even with the lower cruise has a 200nm edge on range. Is there any possibility fuel capacity will be increased down the road, perhaps as part of a usefull load increase? Also, not that I’m paranoid, but I believe a good IFR platform should have a good engine monitoring system. I know one is in the works but what are the specs? Does it provide individual cylinder monitoring like a JPI or Insight system?

John: I think that the answer regarding fuel capacity is going to be: get the SR22. Fuel capacity/range was a major consideration for me making the change from the SR20 to the SR22. I don’t see Cirrus making a change in the fuel capacity of the SR20. Does anyone else have any information/speculation on this matter?

So far as engine monitoring is concerned, this was recently discussed. A search under “engine monitoring” should bring up the prior posts. My understanding is that ARNAV is currently working on two software upgrades to the MFD. First is engine monitoring. They are planning an individual probe package with EGT and CHT for each cylinder. I have not seen any depictions of what the display is going to look like. I think there was a recent post with more specific information and prices. Secondly, they are working on the interface for the Ryan TCAS. Ryan apparantly does not use the ARINC data exchange. ARNAV is not supporting ARINC and has no plans to display the BFGoodrich Skywatch data. This pretty well narrows the collision avoidance system choices to Ryan.

I am sold on the SR-20 for a number of reasons (not the least of which is having a real out in case of an in the soup engine failure)but wonder a couple of things. The fuel capacity seems a little light for a new design (an AA5B Tiger I had years ago carried almost as much fuel). Even 65 usable gallons would have provided a significant improvement in range. The 182S I currently fly (until the SR-20 arrives) carries 88 usable and even with the lower cruise has a 200nm edge on range. Is there any possibility fuel capacity will be increased down the road, perhaps as part of a usefull load increase? Also, not that I’m paranoid, but I believe a good IFR platform should have a good engine monitoring system. I know one is in the works but what are the specs? Does it provide individual cylinder monitoring like a JPI or Insight system?

I agree with Stephen. You won’t see a fuel capacity increase in the SR-20. No way! You’ll need to fly a “C” config with less than full fuel with 4 small persons, even with the prospective gross weight increase of 100 lbs. Keep in mind that your fuel burn in the SR20 at 55% power might keep up with your 182 and burn a lot less fuel than you imagine.

Thanks for the tip: I found the engine monitoring info. Your answer re the SR-20 vs SR-22 doesn’t suprise me. I guess in the end its another way to promote the merits of the SR-22 in light of the additional cost.

John: I think that the answer regarding fuel capacity is going to be: get the SR22. Fuel capacity/range was a major consideration for me making the change from the SR20 to the SR22. I don’t see Cirrus making a change in the fuel capacity of the SR20. Does anyone else have any information/speculation on this matter?

So far as engine monitoring is concerned, this was recently discussed. A search under “engine monitoring” should bring up the prior posts. My understanding is that ARNAV is currently working on two software upgrades to the MFD. First is engine monitoring. They are planning an individual probe package with EGT and CHT for each cylinder. I have not seen any depictions of what the display is going to look like. I think there was a recent post with more specific information and prices. Secondly, they are working on the interface for the Ryan TCAS. Ryan apparantly does not use the ARINC data exchange. ARNAV is not supporting ARINC and has no plans to display the BFGoodrich Skywatch data. This pretty well narrows the collision avoidance system choices to Ryan.

I checked with Continental today. They indicated that the new FADEC engines that will be available “real soon” will have integral individual cylinder monitoring for both EGT and Cylinder Temp. >

Thanks for the tip: I found the engine monitoring info. Your answer re the SR-20 vs SR-22 doesn’t suprise me. I guess in the end its another way to promote the merits of the SR-22 in light of the additional cost.