Fallows Does It Again!

Check out Jim’s cover story on Cirrus, Eclipse, and GA’s future in The Atlantic Monthly, June issue.

Superb, as always.

thanks very much Rich. This is an excerpt from ‘Free Flight,’ which will be out a month from now.

NOW ON A DIFFERENT SUBJECT: Anyone have experience with John Wayne airport / SNA as a place for GA planes? Next week I have to go to a meeting in Laguna Niguel, and SNA looks like the nearest airport. Any tips on what it’s like to deal with? Thanks Jim f

SNA has always been GA-friendly for me. Go to the http://www.sunrisejet.comNewport Jet Center on the southeast end of the field. They have always given me King Air treatment even in my old Bonanza.

Gordon

thanks very much Rich. This is an excerpt from ‘Free Flight,’ which will be out a month from now.

NOW ON A DIFFERENT SUBJECT: Anyone have experience with John Wayne airport / SNA as a place for GA planes? Next week I have to go to a meeting in Laguna Niguel, and SNA looks like the nearest airport. Any tips on what it’s like to deal with? Thanks Jim f

NOW ON A DIFFERENT SUBJECT: Anyone have experience with John Wayne airport / SNA as a place for GA planes

I’ve flown in there twice, and it was fine - the Newport Jet Centre provides red-carpet treatment (literally - the guy brought out a carpet square to the plane!) and does not charge a ramp or handling fee.

Jim:

I’ll echo comments from Clyde and Gordon. I am based at SNA and have found ATC to be competent and friendly. I have my fuel contract with Newport Jet Center and always recommend them to friends arriving transient.

A few suggestions: If possible, come in IFR. You will have a nice tour of the Ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles as well as Seal Beach while being vectored for the ILS runway 19R. The Class B and C airspace in the area is quite demanding VFR for the unfamiliar. Try not to arrive first thing in the AM when the air carrier curfew is lifted. The 7 AM follies look like a Boeing version of a SAC scramble. The reverse happens around 5 PM when they all come home. Weekends are relatively quiet except for GA training.

Have a good trip and fly safe.

Lee

Great airport for GA; skilled atc having helpful attitudes combined with very good FBO support. Be careful of wake turbulence from the numerous 757/767 arrivals and departures. Commercial jets also hold short of 19R between 19R and 19L, caution for jet blast if on approach to 19L.

Jim: I have my Cirrus based at SNA, and have flown there for years. It looks ominous on the charts, but not really too bad to get into and out of. I would recommend an IFR arrival, if you can and are unfamiliar. 99% of the arrivals are to runway 19, and 19R is a mile long with all approaches available. AMR Combs or Newport Jet Center are both fine, and I buy fuel from Newport Jet, also. Both are on the East side of the field. All the FAA guys are real friendly, and will steer you around. Definitely stay above and slightly upwind on the approach if following a 757 or any jet for that matter. Otherwise, not too much new. If you are driving a Cirrus and need some attention, Jay’s Aircraft is the factory service center at SNA. He does a fine job. Good luck.
Steve